Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ready to pull my hair out

• Please log in to reply

Adrenalin777

Adrenalin777

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
RIGHT!!

Firstly, welcome back Adrenalin. Thanks... haha. Hello kids, long time no smell.

Anyway, I have come to the clever people of the best support site in the known universe. GTG. Used to be a regular but life took a turn. Now I am back.

So I am building a system, here are the specs so far.......

Core i3 540 CPU
Intel DH57DD Motherboard

More than that you don't need to know right now. RIGHT, here is my major issue.

The board is no longer under warranty according to Intel, before you ask why i don't just RMA it.

Basically, I have no POST, no BIOS, nadda. Tried 2 power supplies, 3 different types of memory (Not all at once) and the fan spins, then goes off. Repeatedly...
Tried pulling all memory out, nothing. Tried different slots, nothing. Same issue. The CPU I got in the box brand new, so I presume it is not that, as a quick google search revealed similar issues with the board however not as serious as mine are. a BIOS update seems to have fixed another chaps, however to get it into a BIOS update stage, the PC has to switch on for longer than 1 second. Surely?

So, what are my options here.... has anyone else had this issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Ad

Advertisements

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Not sure if this will help but I think I remember doing something like this when I installed my new motherboard. Have you tried changing the boot order for which the computer boots, to boot from the motherboard CD to access its menus? Usually, on the very first screen when you turn on your computer, you will see some keys at the bottom of the screen for different menus. There should be one for setup that is usually accessed by pressing DEL, F8 or F12. You will have to see what your screen says to see exactly what key it is, as computers are all different. There should be a "Boot" tab on the next screen that you have to use your arrow keys to get to and hitting Enter to select it. You will see a list of items on the left. The list is the order in which your computer boots up it's programs. Change it so the CD-ROM boots first. This will boot the CD in which you should be able to get access to the CD menu. Insert your CD and restart the PC. On the CD menu see if you can maybe find something that will help you, such as a way to fix the BIOS. Remember to revert the boot order back to the way it was when you are all done.

I did some research around the interwebz and found a few different things for BIOS that won't load.
One is to disconnect the SATA cable going from hard drive to motherboard and then start the computer. If there is a problem with the master boot sector, this will bypass it, allowing you into BIOS.

I found another way to access BIOS and that is by restarting the system and as soon as the screen goes blank, hold down several keys at once. The intent here is to cause a keyboard error to force access to the BIOS. This does not always work according to it's author.

The BIOS is usually stored on a Flash memory chip on your motherboard.

To change the BIOS itself, you'll probably need a special program from the computer or BIOS manufacturer. Look at the BIOS revision and date information displayed on system startup or check with your computer manufacturer to find out what type of BIOS you have. Then go to the BIOS manufacturer's Web site to see if an upgrade is available. Download the upgrade and the utility program needed to install it. Sometimes the utility and update are combined in a single file to download. Copy the program, along with the BIOS update, onto a floppy disk. Restart your computer with the floppy disk in the drive, and the program erases the old BIOS and writes the new one. Be careful when upgrading your BIOS. Make sure you are upgrading to a version that is compatible with your computer system. Otherwise, you could corrupt the BIOS, which means you won't be able to boot your computer. If in doubt, check with your computer manufacturer to be sure you need to upgrade.

Admin, if this is wrong info, please delete the post. I apologize in advance if it is.

Edited by heartgrave, 17 July 2013 - 08:23 AM.

Adrenalin777

Adrenalin777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for the reply, I can however not boot at all.

The fan spins for about 1 second, then loops like that repeatedly.

Any other ideas welcome.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
The 2 PSU's you used, do they both work with other systems?

I had something similar happen to me. The system would not boot up at all. When I would hit the power button, the fan would kick on and then shut right off. Getting a new PSU fixed it. Here is a link to my post a while back about this and the steps that were took to test my PSU.

http://www.geekstogo...ost__p__2219909

The link goes to post #91 which is where I first mentioned this problem. The posts before hand were regarding how to setup my new computer system since I bought all completely brand new parts.

I put an opened paper clip into the PS_ON and COM holes on my 24 pin connector that went right to the MB and by doing this, it showed I had a bad PSU.

Edited by heartgrave, 17 July 2013 - 10:18 AM.

Adrenalin777

Adrenalin777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Interesting, will give it a shot.

They do work with other systems yes. 600W as well, more than enough to power an i3.

Yeah PSU is not the issue... I suspect a bad board, however to find another one is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Edited by Adrenalin777, 17 July 2013 - 12:53 PM.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
http://www.newegg.co.../Category/ID-20 for mobo's

and use pcpartpicker.com to make sure it is compatible with any parts you have. On this site, click system build in the top left. Then add all the parts you currently have. Use newegg.com to browse mobos and if you find one you like, go back to pcpartpicker.com and search for it and then add it to the list. If there is any incompatibilities, it will tell you in the top left. However, before you do this, I would wait for a more experienced technician to reply. It seems that they are all on in the early AM.

To get a feel for how this site works, I have included a link to my current PC. You can see in the top left corner underneath "System Build" there is a space that says "Parts Are Compatible: No issues/incompatibilities found." Some parts are out dated but I still run high end games on max settings and get about 50+ fps. This is the link to my current build minus the HDD as I can not find mine on the list and I will not sweat adding a 500GB HDD. The graphics card and computer case are added at the bottom under custom as they were not on the list either but a bit more important to my example than the HDD. I definitely spent alot more than $558 on the parts too!

Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1hGQ1

Edit: added link :P

Edited by heartgrave, 17 July 2013 - 01:27 PM.

Adrenalin777

Adrenalin777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah I ain't in the USA and I need a 1156 board...

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Phillpower2 is from the UK according to his profile and he usually replies really early in the AM for me (3AM-5AM) eastern US time which is between 8AM and 10AM in the UK.

I checked newegg.com for an 1156 MB and the only one I found was this one, http://www.newegg.co...VirtualParent=1

Doing a google search for "1156 motherboard" I came across amazon.com and found a bunch. http://www.amazon.co...sl_7s6dcm4sro_b

Add it to the list on www.pcpartpicker.com to ensure compatibility.

Edited by heartgrave, 17 July 2013 - 01:48 PM.

Adrenalin777

Adrenalin777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm not in the UK either :P

I'm in Africa. Try finding a 1156 there........

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Ouch, well, I am sure Amazon or something will ship there, yeah?

Advertisements

Adrenalin777

Adrenalin777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah... for around 100 dollars or so. Not worth it. To much theft at our post offices hence the crazy pricing.

Adrenalin777

Adrenalin777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I wasn't far off.... yikes.

Items: ZAR 410.34
Shipping & handling: ZAR 615.45
Total before tax: ZAR 1,025.79
Estimated tax to be collected:* ZAR 0.00
Order total: ZAR 1,025.79

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sounds like you may have a short circuit in either the MB or the processor/socket.

Has a barebones set-up outside of the case been done, if not and you would like my canned text for this let us know.

http://www.walsoftco...s_jw-h55m-l.asp

Adrenalin777

Adrenalin777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I presume you mean see if it works outside the case with no hard drive, dvd writer etc? If that's what you're asking, then yes I have. Still nothing.

I am also of the opinion it is a short circuit. No way to fix unless you go through each and every component I presume?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update and you are correct regarding the barebones set-up.

The next step is to remove and inspect the CPU, look for any bent or missing pins and check that the CPU was inserted in the correct orientation, also worth a mention is that thermal compound can cause problems if it gets on the pins and/or into the socket etc.