Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Storage and Back-up Setup

• Please log in to reply

ParanoidIllustrator

ParanoidIllustrator

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice about storing and backing up my work as an illustrator. I'm doing more and more digital images so am getting a bit worried about the way they are stored.

I use a MacBook but that's getting pretty full up, ideally I would like to have the files for just the projects that I'm currently working on on the laptop, and everything else stored away.

I own an external hard drive now, but it's all getting a bit messy in the way that i'm backing up - there are lots of duplicates!

I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to these things but I've heard about Mac's 'Time Machine' thing, storing in The Cloud and also CCC... but what are my best options? Anyone have any good ideas or care to share what you personal set up is regarding backing up and storing files?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Advertisements

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Hi :)
Over the years, due to dropped external hard drives, the 'it just died' externals, scratched CD's and DVD's, I've turned to USB's. They are lightweight, portable and super durable. They don't scratch, if you drop them they don't break. I've got a few with all music, 40GB each. A few more with photos, still more with family tree information and gedcom files (large). I label them with a white paint pen so I know what's what. It does not rub off. The whole stick is easily copied so it's easy to back up my back up :D or put it on the computer and use it as an external hard drive. I like that my info is there and I know exactly where it is. Clouds don't really appeal to me for that reason. I just don't trust them yet! USB to me is a more concrete save. It's mine, in my posession. If it's extra special, I back up my backup and keep those elsewhere.
They are super cost effective. For my peace of mind an excellent buy. I hope this helps you :thumbsup: