Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Spilled water on laptop :S


  • Please log in to reply

#1
MissNessie

MissNessie

    New Member

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi I'm new here. I joined because I need help!My first language is french so sorry for any mistakes. This is long but please read as every information is important!

First of all I'd like to precise that before this incident I had never put any liquid near my laptop. But this is a long story anyways,important part is that my cat ended up spilling water on my laptop that was powered on at the time. Of course right when it happened I powered off the laptop. Cleaned-up most of the water. I am not a laptop expert and I realize now how stupid this sound, but I actually turned on the power button a few minutes after the incident, just after cleaning most of the water I could see. I was not thinking straight I guess, too much in panic and really tired. The laptop did turn on for a few seconds then shut down by itself. I didn't have time to access anything. I tried to turn it on a few times after that again. Didn't work. Stupid decisions, but whats done is done. After a few tries I searched on the internet for help with my parents laptop and followed the instruction which were to leave my laptop alone for at least a few days and take the battery out. I realized that turning back on my laptop right after the incident was a bad thing to do so I left my laptop alone for 2 weeks. So today which is 2 weeks later, I decided to finally power on my laptop. I put the battery back in and it worked! Everything except for the keyboard where most keys were messed up and acting weird. But everything else was fine. I was so happy and immediately started saving all my important files in case it were to crash again soon. Well it did. About an hour later after saving up some files the laptop shut down by itself. No warning, nothing. I assumed it was because it wasn't plugged in so I did that and after a few minutes the battery lights on the laptop went from orange to green. I tried to turn it on many times, unplugged it, took the battery out, put it back in, etc. I tried pretty much everything! No luck! When plugged in with the battery, the battery light on the laptop is green. But when I take out only the battery, there is no light. No light also just the battery, not plugged in. There aren't any other light.

My laptop is an ASUS that runs Windows 8. If u need more info let me know.

Anyone know whats up with my laptop? Any chances I can still save my files from the hard drive? Thank you so much for any help!

Edited by MissNessie, 16 July 2013 - 10:58 PM.

  • 0

Advertisements


#2
Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
To be honest I think your laptops had it MissNessie however you could take it to a reputable repair shop and have it stripped down to ascertain just how much damage there is, be aware though that this could be expensive.

The hard drive on the other hand could still be ok and you could remove it and attach it to another machine using one of these.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B001A5SK56
  • 0

#3
Niyol

Niyol

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hello
I split coffee on a laptop once it was on at the time and I powered off like you and then put it and left it in a bag of rice to draw out all the water. A week later I rebooted it and it worked OK apart from one key that didn't work, so I took it apart and found coffee had dried under the key, at least I think it was coffee. After I cleaned it it was good again. Your laptop may still have some moister in it so try leaving it in a bag of rice to draw out the water ( works on mobile phones to if you drop them in the toilet a lot like I do)

I wouldn't suggest you take it apart unless you know what your doing but give the rice a go (make sure you dont get any rice in the USB slot and other gaps as It took me ages to get them out of the USB slot and ear phone socket). I think Wolfeymole is right it may have had it and taking it to a repair shop may be your best bet.

Edited by o0o, 17 July 2013 - 03:26 AM.

  • 0

#4
MissNessie

MissNessie

    New Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the replies. Honestly I don't care that much about the laptop itself. It's my files that I'm worried about! I know how to take out the hard drive to transfer my files if it's not all lost, but I never tried to so I'm afraid I'll be doing more damage as I'm not a professional :S It's already been 2 weeks, should I wait longer or I should find a compagny that repair laptops now?

Edited by MissNessie, 17 July 2013 - 11:59 AM.

  • 0

#5
Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Once you have removed the hard drive bay cover you should find the drive in a metal casing secured to the laptop chassis by a single screw, remove that screw and slide the hard drive backwards and then lift it out.
  • 0

#6
MissNessie

MissNessie

    New Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My laptop is weird. One day it works, the next day not, and then it works again. I'll go to the repair shop soon. At least I was able to save everything and I know my laptop isn't dead :)
  • 0

#7
Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok. :thumbsup:
  • 0






Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP