Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless mouse using too much power?

• Please log in to reply

isaacson

isaacson

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have recently bought a wireless mouse which runs on battery (my previous one had a charging cradle). The battery ran out within 2 days, so I replaced them with a different brand (duracell), these ran out within 2 days also, so I replaced the mouse with a different brand. This also ate the batteries. Now I think about it I did have to return my previous mouse to the charging cradle quite often.
I've tried looking this problem up, and the only answers I've got so far are that this shouldn't happen (please don't reply telling me your mouse doesn't do this, I know it's weird already). One vague reference to interference, but I have no other 2.4Ghz devices (not even wireless), the other electrical devices are on standard 50hz (miles away from 2.4Ghz) and anyway, how would the mouse 'know' it was having it's signal interfered with in order to use more power transmitting it?
In short I'm lost. Can anyone with some electrical knowledge enlighten me?
Thanks

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The mouse will only transmit to the USB receiver that is plugged into your machine Isaacson.

Are you an avid gamer where a serious amount of mouse movement may be involved?

isaacson

isaacson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No, just a bit of internet surfing, word processing and check e-mails. I only work mornings too so the mouse is idle all afternoon. I'd say I was on the computer for about 8 hrs (not using the mouse all the time of course), before the batteries went. Second mouse probably lasted about 12 hrs of computer time.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I would suggest that you have a faulty mouse Isaacson.

Is it still under guarantee?

How old is the original mouse that went in the docking charger?