Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HD models -I'm confused

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
My PC hard drive is an 80GB WDC WD 800BB-00FRA0 IDE with firmware 77.07W77

I think this is nearing end of life so wish to replace it. Googling this I find many models having similar names eg. WD800BB-00JKC0 2060-701292-000 REV A PCB. Or WD800xx-xxxxx.... ATA None mention the firmware - does this come with some other part/function of my computer?

I'd like to know how I can distinguish between all these specs. and which would be suitable/compatible with my computer particularly there are great differences in price.

Also what if I want to have a larger capacity HD - any problem?

Appreciate any advice on this matter.

XP Home;
Board: 1st Intl. Computer Inc. AM39L PCB 0.x
Bus Clock: 166Mhertz
BIOS: Phoenix Tech., LTD 6.00 PG

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Forget about Firmware aspects on a new hard drive Plutox.

What are your system specifications in terms of Memory and CPU size?

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Oh I mistakenly thought those would not be relevant.

The Belarc Advisor says:
704 MB usable installed memory

CPU: 2.15 GigHertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kb primary mem. cache
256 kb secondary mem. cache

Have I missed anything?

Thanks for your response.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Wow, that's a pretty old system. You're gonna be limited on how big the drive you can get and if there's any on the market. What OS are you using?

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
If i am not mistaken the limit on a HD with XP as a OS is 300 gigs which is not bad..There is software out there for XP to make it recognize over 500 gigs...

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Something like this would be ideal for your needs Plutox.

http://www.amazon.co...ords=hard drive

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks wolfeymole for that tip. That is a generic one but has mostly good reviews and max 16MB cache.

The following is branded, same as mine, 160GB which is more than I need, and cheaper! The max cache is 8MB - probably the same as mine so no problem
Western Digital WD1600AAJB 160GB 3.5 inch IDE Hard Drive - £21 99

What about connecting cables - good chance of them being different to ones I have?

By the way any info from anyone on the meaning of the code AAJB and their like?

PS yes it's an old 'TIME'system, 10 years old at least but works very well

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The cables will be fine, simply reconnect the 40 pin ribbon cable from the board to the hard drive and the 4 pin molex from the PSU and off you go.

Just make sure that the jumpers on the new drive match the old one.

Regarding the AAJB coding read this.....

http://forums.storag...tal-jb-vs-aajb/

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks for the 'storage review' site - it'll keep me entertained and educated for hours.

I have a query about your,'connect up and off you go'. I have to transfer my OS, at least, to the new HD somehow, no? Although I have done a Macrium Select image copy from my netbook to an external drive(just in case)successfully it didn't work on this PC - it froze up at the very start of the copying - said it was analyzing but did nothing else. Uninstalled it and tried again with the same result. Tried DriveImageXML but couldn't proceed due to Windows Shadow etc. glitch - doesn't like FAT32. Thinking of converting to NTFS to try again but have to ruminate on all that.

I only have a 'reload' CD with this PC which is no use. I do have a genuine XP Pro installation disk which has been used once on another PC which, if my thinking is right, I could use after April 2014 when support for XP stops when no updates etc. will happen and 'Genuine Advantage' won't be called for - am I right? Except I won't have the current updates - oh dear! Can't I get them from just the KB numbers - still be available?

What about putting in the new HD alongside the old one, new with NTFS and the old with FAT which is possible I have read? Easier to transfer the OS? Needs extra special connecting cables I guess.

Is anyone up to addressing this 'rant'? Here's hoping!

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Let's take your paragraphs one by one Plutox.

1: Are you saying that you tried to use or load an image made from a Netbook on your old, this, PC?

2: Are you saying that you have an OEM reinstall disk that came with the Time computer?
2a: If the XP Pro disk is OEM then you cannot use it irrespective of when support for XP stops.
2b: If the XP Pro disk is Retail then you can use it provided that XP is removed from the original PC that it was installed on.

3: Putting the new drive alongside the old drive is a non starter.

Please elaborate on why you have concerns with WGA please.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
1. No. Made netbook image for use on that netbook if needed.

2. Don't think so - it is called a Reload Backup CD - so doesn't have the hidden-away XP stuff which is needed to get back to factory settings, yes?

2a. Yes the disk is a retail one I bought for an 'empty' PC.

2b. I don't want to take it out of that one.

3. I got this idea from Chapter 33, page 861 of 'The Complete Reference'-Windows XP Home Edition ( there is a perhaps pertinent distinction between a hard disk and a removable disk I note) which says 'Each partition on a hard disk and each removable disk must be formatted with FAT, FAT32 or NTFS but it's possible (and often desirable) to have some disks with one format and some with the other format on the same system.'

WGA - This would presumably not permit updates using a duplicate installation of XP but perhaps not apply if no updates available and not asked for passed the cutoff date.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
So the Netbook is not relative to this thread then?

I shall reiterate that you cannot use the Retail disk on another machine whilst it is installed on the original machine as doing so contravenes Microsoft's EULA.

You would have problems anyway if you did attempt to do so when it came to activation because the original machine has already been activated.

If a machine has several physical hard disks or just one hard disk with multiple partitions then you could have a combination of FAT32 or NTFS setups.

USB memory sticks are famous for being formatted in FAT.

When Microsoft stop support for XP all updates will remain but will not be added to.

I have already answered the duplicate installation issue.