Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive space eating virus [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

fattymcstat

fattymcstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
my computer still is at 117 Gb free of 1.8 TB

Advertisements

fattymcstat

fattymcstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thank you for everything btw

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts

Thank you for everything btw

You're welcome!

Lets have a quick look at the hard drive layout and see what sort of files are taking the space

Download and install WinDirStat
  • Run the program
  • Select your main drive
  • When the pacmen have finished there will be a graphic display of your drive
  • Please attach that as a screenshot
    Posted Image
  • Also if you can see the weird folder then let me know what it is

fattymcstat

fattymcstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Iv re installed the program and ran it 3 times every time it says not responding when it gets to 1 %

fattymcstat

fattymcstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
iv tried 3 more times it still says not responding after like 1 min of running

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
I've submitted to my instructor to try a different program. I'd just like to hear back from him to make sure that's the next best option. :)

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Since that one isn't working, let's try another program.

Please download TreeSize (by JAM Software) from the link below and save it to your Desktop.

Download Mirror #1

• Double-click on TreeSizeProfessional-Demo.exe to run TreeSize.
  • Click Run at the security warning, if it appears.
  • Select your language and press OK.
  • Click Next, Accept the agreement and click Next a further three times.
  • Untick all of the boxes then click Next.
  • Wait for TreeSize to install then tick Launch TreeSize Professional as Administrator and click Finish
  • TreeSize should now open. If it doesn't, it can be found in your Start Menu under JAM Software.
  • TreeSize will now scan your hard drive. On large hard drives, this could take a while to complete so please be patient.
  • The scan finishes when there are no more hour glass icons over the folders listed in TreeSize.
  • Click File > Export > Save as HTML.., then save it to your Desktop named Log.html
  • Close TreeSize and minimize all windows until you see your Desktop.
  • Right click on the file that we just created, Log.html (the .html suffix might not be displayed), and click Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • A second file, Log.zip should be created.
  • Attach this file to your next post please.

fattymcstat

fattymcstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Sorry that took so long

Attached Files

• Attached File  Log.zip   1.34KB   111 downloads

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
It looks like the majority of your space is being used in the Users folder, if you would please click the white arrow beside users, then click on the users folder and export again as you previously did so we can see what area of that folder is using up the space.

fattymcstat

fattymcstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
It turns out its all coming from a folder called "unified_cache_leveldb_leveldb2" i a folder under "google earth"

Attached Files

Advertisements

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
It seems this has been an issue with Google Earth before and the latest update should have fixed the problem. So, uninstall Google Earth, navigate to and delete that Google Earth folder (C:\Users\Justin\AppData\LocalLow\Google\GoogleEarth). Then re-install Google Earth from here. Let me know if that takes care of the problem.

Jasmyne

fattymcstat

fattymcstat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
It took along time to delete it but it gave me back all my missing space thank you so much. :)

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Glad you've got your space back! I'd like you to do a few more scans to make sure there's nothing else left on your machine before we clean up the tools we've used so far.

Step 1 - MalwareBytes Scan

Posted Image Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here.

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Step 2 - ESET Online Scan

Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here

• Please go here then click on: Posted Image

Note: If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.

• All of the below instructions are compatible with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.
  • Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on: Posted Image
  • When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
  • Make sure that the option Scan archives is checked.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Now click on: Posted Image
  • The virus signature database... will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
  • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically. The scan may take several hours.
  • Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
  • When completed select Uninstall application on close if you so wish, make sure you copy the logfile first!
  • Now click on: Posted Image
  • Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.

Note: Do not forget to re-enable your Anti-Virus application after running the above scan

Step 3 - Security Check

Download Security Check from here or here.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Things Needed for Your Next Post ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. MalwareBytes Log
2. ESET Online Scan Log
3. Security Check Log (checkup.txt)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.