Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Server

• Please log in to reply

1gremlin

1gremlin

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I want to build a rack mount home server. I have access to an older Sun MicroSystems surplus server. Are rack mounts universal in size (width) as to mounting equipment.Are any of the drives or the power supply usable with a Windows based home server. I may also be able to get a 2006 AS400 I520 series machine. Can an AS400 communicate with Windows 7 or 8. Can any of the AS400 parts be used. I am not very tech savy and really only have a general idea of how to do this (or why I am doing it). I do not have a computer background. I am a 64 YO retired disabled Vietnam era Vet. This is just a project I want to tackle. To be honest I think I just want to prove to myself that I can do it. I will really appreciate any and all help.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Wikipedia: 19-inch rack

Wikipedia: Rack unit

Wikipedia: IBM System i

Edited by SpywareDr, 18 July 2013 - 06:05 PM.

1gremlin

1gremlin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks. That helped a lot with regards to the rack. Does anyone now know if any of the Microsun equipment would be usable in a windows based home server.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Probably not.

Sun MicroSystems products included computer servers and workstations built on its own RISC-based SPARC processor architecture as well as on x86 based AMD's Opteron and Intel's Xeon processors. They originally used Motorola 68000 family central processing units for the Sun-1 through Sun-3 computer series. The Sun-1 employed a 68000 CPU, the Sun-2 series, a 68010. The Sun-3 series was based on the 68020, with the later Sun-3x variant using the 68030.

More info here: Wikipedia: Sun Microsystems

BTW, Sun was acquired by Oracle for US$7.4 billion on January 27, 2010.

--- edit ---

Wikipedia: AS/400 (IBM System i)

Edited by SpywareDr, 19 July 2013 - 05:29 AM.

1gremlin

1gremlin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK. Thanks. Well, usable or not I won the bid today on the Sun server. Maybe the rack will be a good starting point for my build. You gotta admit that at around six feet tall it will hold more stuff then the average home server should have in it. There is probably room to house it's own refrigeration unit. I really appreciate your help and information. I know that you guys are all well out of my league when it comes to computers period, and I thank you for taking the time to help me. I love to tinker, engineer, and build so what sort of creature gets created in the end we will just have to wait and see. Please feel free to add any ideas anyone has.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You're welcome. And best of luck with your new toys. :)