A few things that need to be updated.UpdatesHijackThis
-This is a program you can uninstall. It was the program that was used prior to OTL.JavaWARNING: Java
is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security
recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article
and this article
I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java
unless you need it to run an important software.
In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java
in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser
and How to unplug Java from the browser
Your current version of Adobe Reader is out of date. Please go here
to download the most current version.
-Be sure to uncheck the box next to "Yes, install McAfee Security Scan Plus - optional" before clicking Download nowAnd now what you've been waiting what feels like forever to hear...Congratulations and Good Work, It looks like your log is clean.
Now for some final "housekeeping" procedures. Step 1
Clear Old Restore PointsCreate a new, clean System Restore point:
- Right click on Computer and select Properties >> System protection >> Create.
- Give this restore point a descriptive name and click Create.
- When the new restore point is created click on OK >> close the System Properties window.
Do not clear infected/old System Restore points before creating a new System Restore point first!Flush Old System Restore points:
System Restore and Shadow Copies
- Next click Start (Windows 7 Orb) >> Run (or the Windows key and R together) to bring up the Run box and and copy and paste in:
- in the box and press OK.
- Select the system drive, C >> OK.
- Ensure the boxes for Recycle Bin, Temporary Files and Temporary Internet Files are checked, you can choose to check other boxes if you wish but they are not required.
- Click on Clean up system files >> Select the system drive, C >> OK.
- Now click on the More Options tab.
Step 2 Remove ComboFix
- Click on Clean up... >> Delete >> OK >> Delete Files.
Step 3 OTL Cleanup
- Delete the current copy of ComboFix on your desktop
- Download a fresh copy from here to your desktop
- Hold down the Windows key + R on your keyboard. This will display the Run dialogue box
- In the Run box, type in ComboFix /Uninstall (Notice the space between the "x" and "/") then click OK
- Follow the prompts on the screen
- A message should appear confirming that ComboFix was uninstalled
- Open OTL
- Click the CleanUp button at the top, it will ask to reboot your PC, please allow it to do so
I greatly apprecately your patience and sticking with me until the end on this one.
The following are recommendations for future use and protection if necessary. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Anti Malware Protection ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
This is an excellent Anti-Malware product. It offers free malware scanning, free malware removal, and free updates. It is recommended to periodically run a Quick Scan to keep your PC as clean as possible. Remember to check for updates before running a scan, so click the Update tab along the top, then click Check for Updates.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Free Antivirus Protection ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Always make sure you have an antivirus program! If for some reason in the future you'd like to switch programs here are some recomendations: Microsoft Security Essentials
or Avast! Antivirus
both are FREE to use. Please remember that you can only have one Antivirus installed at a time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Free Firewall Programs ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If for some reason in the future you'd like to switch, Comodo Personal Firewall
and Sunbelt Personal Firewall
are two good options for a FREE
firewall to help protect your computer from any unwanted intruders.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Staying Updated ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keeping your PC updated is important to protect yourself against future infections. There are many infections which will exploit loopholes within Windows itself, Java and Adobe Reader. Keeping these updated is a very good habit to get into.Automatic Updates
Updates to your Operating System are vital in closing loopholes and fixing bugs which some infections exploit. To keep your Windows updated, ensure that 'Automatic Updates' is enabled on your PC so updates are downloaded and installed automatically. Click here
to find out how.File Hippo
Download and install FileHippo update checker
and run it monthly it will show you which programs on your system need updating and give a download link.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Alternate Browsers ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Using an alternative web browser can help protect your PC from infections which exploit security holes within Internet Explorer. They can also be quicker to load pages and offer more tools and features such as Firefox's huge add-on list.Firefox
- My personal choice, easy to use and has a large number of excellent add-ons
that can be installed to help keep you away from malicious sites and reduce advertisements and popups etc. AdBlockPlus
are very useful add-ons that are worth having installed.Google Chrome
- Is another browser that's easy to use and is worth trying if you want to test out new browsers.