Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hear random audio in background, now after trouble shooting, system s

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Monvishi

Monvishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Step 1 Scan is taking forever.. Its been over 3 hours n it is at 16% completion.

It reads threats detected. Name of virus as 'Rootkit.Boot.Harbinger.a'
Giving options as to - DISINFECT, DELETE, SKIP

The scan is not progressing from this step on...an action needs to be taken, I guess.

Do we proceed with any action?

Edited by Monvishi, 20 July 2013 - 05:19 PM.

Advertisements

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
I'm pretty sure Essexboy is offline for the evening. I've posted in general to ask from other staff members to check. This infection has been tricky and I'd rather check first.

Monvishi

Monvishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
My husband has gone ahead with DISINFECT option. Followed by MANUAL DISINFECTION and he did NEUTRALISE ALL

The scan is in progress at 24%

Not sure what he has done is okay or not...will anyways let the scan continue for now and may repeat DISINFECT ( RECOMMENDED) option if we come across a halt again.

Edited by Monvishi, 20 July 2013 - 06:18 PM.

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Is it still scanning? If so how far has it reached?

Monvishi

Monvishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
69%

We have a new error message saying ' Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working'

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
With the error message and the duration, I would go ahead and cancel the scan. After I was able to get home (not to long ago) and do some more reading into things, it appears that with it asking you to Disinfect, Delete or Skip, that you had chosen an Automatic Scan, not a Manual Scan. Doing a scan on my own machine, the manual scan took little to no time in comparison to just a portion of the automatic scan. So cancel the scan, and see if you can begin it again the pictures and directions are almost exactly as need to be for a manual scan. I'm home so if you need any help I'll be here. :)

Monvishi

Monvishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Right now it reads 78% completion and in 1 hour it should get done.

Its been on for over 6 hours, do you want me to cancel the last leg?

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
I thought when you have the previous percentage and said you had the error message it had stopped scanning.

Monvishi

Monvishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
After my husband took action on the error window, the scan continued and here we are at 81%

Monvishi

Monvishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
The scan just got completed. The report screen is very different from the screen shot provided by you. I am trying to save the same, says 'notepad not responding'

Advertisements

Monvishi

Monvishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Jasmyne,

I tried to save the report twice,have two diff .txt files but not responding. The hourglass ahows up on the plain blank box in notepad.

Next please..

Monvishi

Monvishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Let me know if you get this txt file and able to open at your end..

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
The screenshot I provided is going to look different because those are for a manual scan I believe you ran an automatic. Sometimes when an application, like notepad hangs, if you wait a bit it will begin to work again. Sometimes you have to force quit the application. If you force quit, I'm not sure if you'll loose the file or not.

Monvishi

Monvishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Per your first step, we have to take an automatic scan, rite?

Did I do it wrong?

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
There was no attachment. After you browse and choose the file, be sure to click the "Attach this File" button underneath.