Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is eating up my speed?

• Please log in to reply

Dawsonluke9

Dawsonluke9

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
im on a 150Mbsdown/10Mbsup plan with 250GB bandwith but i cant even watch a show or a youtube video without buffering or it stopping alltogether sometimes pages dont load and i have to refresh 3 times. when i do speedtests (speedtest.net i get anywhere from 40/1 to 140/2 (down/up)im paying $120 a month i dont expect my internet to be slower than my friend who pays 40... the only things running on it are my laptop (connected via ethernet and wifi) and my phone (SGS3) i dont think its someone stealing it because it really random and i live in a pretty small community but is there away i can check if someone is? any help is greatly appreciated Thanks!

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Have you rang the ISP to see what they say?

Is this cable or ADSL?

Dawsonluke9

Dawsonluke9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
cable i believe the company is Rogers if that helps they arent exacly known for there customer support either also its 3:30 am right now and i would just like to watch an episode of dexter without stopping every 2 mins and waiting 5 mins for it to load so i can watch another 2 mins of it.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I hear that in the states ISP's have customers at their mercy as there is not that much competition as there is here in the UK.

Ok traffic is one thing but you should not have such inconsistent speeds as you are doing with just one laptop and a phone using the bandwidth.

I'd ring them in the morning and explain and get them to check things at their end.

Dawsonluke9

Dawsonluke9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
yeah the us is bad? this is canada. where there are only 2 companys you can get your internet from. bell or rogers (you can also from third party places but they just re-sell those 2 so there is no compatition so we pretty much are at their mercy. like i said is there any way to check if maybe someone else is "stealing" it?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Your router should be on WPA2-PSK for security which, for the average joe, is hard to crack or hack you so I doubt it very much.

Are you running Windows 7?

Dawsonluke9

Dawsonluke9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
yep windows 7

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok to make sure what security you have open the Network and Sharing Centre and click on Connect to a Network.

A box will open to the right listing all available networks in the vicinity including you.

Simply hover the mouse over your connection to see the type of security that you have.

Dawsonluke9

Dawsonluke9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
WPA2-PSK

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Then it's highly unlikely that anyone is hijacking your system mate.

The fault has to be with the ISP.

I'm with cable in the UK and Speedtest results are always constant.

Advertisements

Dawsonluke9

Dawsonluke9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
http://www.speedtest...sult/2846406546 thats a speedtest from right now, as you can see nowhere what im paying for and its 5am probably a pretty los usage time of the day...

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hello Dawsonluke9
There are 2 ways I found to check to see who's using your WiFi the first is open up your router and look to see if it has a feature which list who's connected / has been connecting to your router.
The router I have lists all users mac address and the name of there PC.

The second is using command prompt.
How to see who's on your network, open start and type cmd
Right click on it and run as administrator
Now in the box that opens type net view
and that should list all the devices connected to your WiFi

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The speed is ok but nowhere near good enough when paying for 150mbps connection.

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I found this testing site called Measurement labs it was in a review I was reading from a reputable site.
It's a set of diagnostic tools to help with problems like yours, it will test your connection speed and you will receive sophisticated diagnosis of problems limiting your speed. That was mainly the sites own words there.

This is the link and the NDT test would be the one to start with, but I'm no expert. Best let Wolfeymole take a look first
http://measurementla...t-lab-tools#ndt

Hope thats of some use, good luck in improving your speed :thumbsup:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The link is admirable o0o but I'm not convinced, sorry mate.

The site also has no Webrep according to Avast either.

speedtest 5.shf.png

Attached Thumbnails

• mlab.shf.png