Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Are chipset drivers all the important drivers?

• Please log in to reply

bruceb3

bruceb3

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I want to do a clean install of Windows 7 on my new ssd. The drivers disk that came with my motherboard, an Asus P8Z77V-Pro, is from August of 2012. I figured that downloading the newest drivers from the Asus website would be better than using the disk. The website lists a bunch of different downloads including a chipset driver download. Does this include all the different motherboard drivers I'll need, or would I be better off just using the disk? Thanks!

Advertisements

bruceb3

bruceb3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
By the way, my sig needs to be updated. Most of my stuff is different now.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
You will need the chipset drivers, but they aren't the only drivers you'll need. You'll also need to make sure you have the latest audio, VGA, LAN, USB, and SATA drivers, along with the latest BIOS and whatever ASUS utilities you want. I'd recommend getting these from the website and not from the CD, just so you know they're the latest.

bruceb3

bruceb3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thanks. I was afraid of that. I was hoping there was an easier way than to download all the individual drivers.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Yeah, you'd be better off downloading all the drivers now and doing a controlled installation instead of installing the drivers from the CD and then haphazardly upgrading the drivers when either something breaks or Windows Update bugs you.

bruceb3

bruceb3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Yup, just got done downloading all of them. What a pain.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I would recommend installing Windows 7 then immediately do several Windows Updates manually via Control Panel. It will have most, if not all of the drivers you need for your system. Windows 7 was a very driver complete system and has been continually updated with new drivers as they are released.

Once that's done, then download and install any that are missing.

Just my $.02 worth!