Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VirusScan.Org says I'm infected with g2mdlhlpx.exe [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Decoys

Decoys

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Donna,

I've tried it with Internet Explorer as well as Firefox and Chrome after having installed the esetsmartinstaller. All to no avail. :upset:

b

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hm? Ok. I'll see what I can find for a solution. Getting late where I am. May not find out anything till tomorrow.

Decoys

Decoys

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
No worries, it's late here too. Have a good night!

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hello again Decoys,

I'm back.

Let's try another scanner and see what the results are.

Please go here and run an on-line scan with the F-Secure scanner instead.

• Use IE (Internet Explorer), accept the license terms, and allow the Active-X controls to load.
  • Click Full System Scan and allow the components to download and the scan to complete.
  • If malware is found during the scan, check Submit samples to F-Secure and Automatic cleaning.
  • When the scan has finished, click the Show Report button and copy and paste the entire report in your next reply.

Donna :)

Decoys

Decoys

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Good evening Donna,

I ran the f-secure scan. It found no threats and I didn't see a log produced. Any thoughts on where that log may be saved?

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
And a good evening to you too, Decoys. :)

If no threats were found, no log will be produced. So this is good news. Allow me a bit of time to review your thread and discuss with my instructor, and you'll be good to go after we uninstall the tools we used.

Thank you kindly!

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Decoys,

Now that we have verified that you are clean from infection, let's remove our tools and create a Restore point.

Please click on the Posted Image on your desktop to open the main window.

Next click on the Posted Image button.

Once clean up is complete you will be prompted to reboot your computer. Please do so.

This will remove most of the programs we have used including itself.

If there are any left over tools or logs on your computer please delete them now.

Next:

Clear Restore Points

Go Start > All Programmes > Accessories > System tools
Right click Disc Cleanup and select run as administrator
When it pops up at the first prompt select OK after it has done some calculations the tabs will appear
Select More Options tab
Press Sytem Restore and Shadow Copies Cleanup button
Posted Image

I have to give you credit, you do a nice job keeping your software up to date. If you're interested, I use the following program(s):

Update Checker

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly. It will show you which programs on your system need to be updated and will provide a download link for you.

And to forewarn me from accessing questionable sites:

• WOT, (Web of Trust), warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory.
  • WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
    • Green to go
    • Yellow for caution
    • Red to stop
  • WOT' has an addon available for Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari and Opera.

Take the WOT tour

And in closing, here are a few links you might find interesting that will educate and enhance your online surfing abilities:

"So how did I get infected in the first place?" by Tony Klein and updated by Corrine
How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected by quietman7
How to prevent Malware: by miekemoes

If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to ask! Any member on this site will be more then happy to guide you in your quest for safe surfing and to prevent infection.

Happy and safe computing!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.