Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't boot

• Please log in to reply

nyczace

nyczace

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Toshiba satellite laptop and for the past few days its been pissing me off.

before, it would always shut down after around a few seconds if starting it. when I plugged in the charger, it didnt have the red light indicator on the laptop.
so now I took the battery out and I'm running the laptop alone on the charger.

now when I try to boot, nothing will load. it'll always get stuck on the starting windows screen. and even on safe mode, it remains stuck trying to load on of the files.

I'm trying startup repair, but I seriously doubt Microsoft can make a repair application worth a [bleep], so I doubt this will work.

any help? sorry if I posted this in the wrong section..

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Some laptops need the battery in even when running off the mains and some don't.

Are you saying that when it was booting ok as such then it would shut down a few moments later?

How old is this machine?

nyczace

nyczace

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Some laptops need the battery in even when running off the mains and some don't.

Are you saying that when it was booting ok as such then it would shut down a few moments later?

How old is this machine?

when I noticed it was pying up, it would boot normally and shut down very soon. now after trying system repair, it seems like everything's [bleep]ed up. booting the laptop causes it to get stuck on either the starting windows screen, or if I'm trying safe mode, it'll get stuck on there too.(ive taken out the battery now because when I had it in, it would keep shutting down)

I think this laptop is 3 years old.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
This could be either a heat issue where dust has accumulated in the vents or a faulty hard drive or both.

Have you had the machine on a bed or any soft furnishings that may have blocked the vent at all?

nyczace

nyczace

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

This could be either a heat issue where dust has accumulated in the vents or a faulty hard drive or both.

Have you had the machine on a bed or any soft furnishings that may have blocked the vent at all?

yes, most probably. I'm running startup repair to see if that even does anything. if that doesnt work, do I need to open this thing up and clear out the dust?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hello nyczace

If I may chime in while Wolfey is offline ;)

The attached cleaning guide is for a HP laptop but the principal is the same http://h10025.www1.h...product=3927423

nyczace

nyczace

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello nyczace

If I may chime in while Wolfey is offline ;)

The attached cleaning guide is for a HP laptop but the principal is the same http://h10025.www1.h...product=3927423

I opened up the laptop, that was a real pain on the [bleep]. took me ages and on top of that I had my toddler cousin crying because I wouldnt let him touch everything.

I checked it, and it seemed perfectly fine. no dust, everything looked new. so I don't think its anything to do with the fan.
any other causes? do you think it might be a harddrive problem? by that, do you think what's on the hard drive is an issue, or the actual hd itself that is the issue?

to repeat what's happening, when I switch my laptop on, at any given time, it'll get to the starting windows screen, and then itll go blank and restarts. when I try to boot in safe mode, it gets to a certain file, gets stuck and then restarts.

thanks for the help browskis

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Then I suggest a faulty hard drive.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Could it be a faulty CMOS battery or a dead one at that? They only last 5-7 years.

"The BIOS stores all sorts of information in the CMOS RAM area, like the number of floppy and hard disk drives, the hard disk drive type, etc. If the CMOS RAM loses power, the computer may not know anything about the hard disk configuration of your machine, and therefore it cannot boot.

Many more modern computers are not quite so dependent on the CMOS RAM. They store the settings in non-volatile RAM that works without any power at all. If the battery goes dead, the clock fails but the computer can still boot using the information in the non-volatile RAM area."