Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Kernel Power - Event ID 41 - Task Category 63

• Please log in to reply

shane007f

shane007f

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello

I need help. Over the past month and a half my computer would crash and restart. This primarily started happening while playing Guild Wars 2. Over the past month I had been communicating with the GW2 support group and have bought a new heatsink/CPU fan- Coolermaster Hyper N520. It has been determined that my computer doesn't have thermal issues, my 12GB of Kingston Hyper X T1 RAM is working properly, and my CPU- i7-920 is functioning properly. Now after a month of tech support from GW2 they have determined that there is nothing wrong with my computer hardware after multiple Speccy screenshot reviews.

I should have thought to look at my event viewer logs. All of the crah and restarts that I have been experiencing have been caused by Kernel Power - Event ID 41 - Task Category 63. From everything that I have read on various Microsoft threads this is a Windows 7 OS issue probably caused by an update that I received around late April or Early May.

Is there anyone that can provide any insight/help with this issue.

If needed i can attach a speccy screenshot and a saved event log. Also, from reading a thread from this site I downloaded WhoCrashed and after running it this is what I got:

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: SHANE-PC
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 12875653120 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1911525376

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

Please help.

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: shane007f

As there are no crash dumps the issue may be hardware related - this includes thermal issues caused by poor cooling, a flaky PSU which can also produce more heat and a video card/chip for the same reasons.

Run Speccy and post the url for us http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web and tell us the brand and model name or number of the PSU, let us know if you need help in obtaining the PSU details.

shane007f

shane007f

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

Thank you for the response. I have an APEVIA 800W power supply (model no: ATX-C8800W). I have also published my Speccy repoet at: http://speccy.pirifo...kJHGaFmPEcbbYf3
If you need any other info please let me know.

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello shane007f and thanks for the url :thumbsup:

The issue is possibly being caused by the lack of available free storage space on the HDD/s, please see my canned text below;

Please note that you must always have a minimum of between 15 and 20% of a HDDs overall storage capacity available as free space or you risk the data on the drive becoming corrupt or in a worst case scenario mechanical failure of the HDD itself.

The above can render a computer inoperable if the HDD concerned has the OS on it due to the MBR (Master Boot Record) becoming damaged/corrupt, please see information @ http://pcsupport.abo...sterbootrec.htm

Go to Start then to Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take an expanded screenshot and attach it to your next reply.

Download Speedfan and install it.
Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

As an asides the Apevia PSU may claim an 800W output but the brand name has a poor reputation for quality and reliability (so bad that they changed their brand name from Aspire) see http://www.pcmech.co...ide-inside.html and http://www.10stripe....d/psu/brand.php

shane007f

shane007f

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello phillpower2,

I appreciate all of the help with this headache that has been plaguing me. I have attached a bunch of screenshots. I downloaded the CPUID software and uploaded the txt files from the software and also took some screenshots of what I was seeing as well. Again thanks for all the help. If you need anything else please let me know.

Also, that sucks what you are telling me about my Apevia PSU. Had I known when putting my rig together I would have picked a more reliable PSU.

Thanks,
shane007f

Attached Thumbnails

• disc management.jpg
  • SpeedFan info.jpg
  • CPUID Screenshot(1).jpg
  • CPUID Screenshot (2).jpg

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello shane007f - thanks for the comprehensive update :thumbsup:

Everything in Speedfan with the exception of the +12V rail on the PSU looks ok, Speedfan does sometimes show an off reading or two hence suggesting running a second program for comparison which you have done and the HWMonitor reading is ok, these readings can change dramatically though when you are gaming etc.

The low storage space on the C: drive needs to be addressed first as Windows needs more space to copy data to and from or it will corrupt, you can make a start on this yourself by uninstalling any unused programs such as games that you no longer play, if a program has it`s own uninstaller use that but if not it is ok to use the uninstall a program option in the control panel/device manager.

Let us know how you get on.