Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound after updates

• Please log in to reply

rdgfx3

rdgfx3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I have a homebuilt PC I've used for 5-6 years as a media center, playing and recording CDs and DVDs with no problems. I never updated it and recently decided to go ahead and do some updates for security.

Well, that'll teach me.

I'm running Windows XP profssional SP3. My motherboard is an EPOX VKM3i with a 2.4 ghz Pentium 4 with 2 gigs of RAM. Due to the sound issues, I removed my Turtle Beach Catalina sound card thinking it had gone dead. Apparently that wasn't the case. After physically removing the card and removing all the related software and going into the BIOS so the onboard sound is used, I still have no sound. It is a Realtek AC'97 Audio. I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it. I have used the original mother board disk to reinstall any drivers, Interestingly, after reinstalling the drivers from the disk, XP reported NO sound card installed. I took care of that issue. It now sees the onboard sound and reports everything is working, but it;s not. I had been running sound through my Onkyo Receiver and switched to headphones to try to troubleshoot. No sound. I've done virus scans, malware scans, et al.

I don't know for sure that the updates caused this. I had done some tweaking in the Windows media player settings. After reviewing what I did there, I can't see where that would cause my issues. I'm stuck.

What now?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
:welcome: rdgfx3

It is possible for a driver update to cause problems but as you would appear to have to install rather a lot due to not keeping them up to date as a matter of good practice then identifying any potential bad update is more difficult, two quick checks for you one of which will hopefully put things right "last known good configuration" http://support.micro...kb/307852/en-us and/or MS "fixit" http://fixitcenter.s...ownloading.html

Let us know how it goes.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Also check Sound and Audio Device Properties in Control Panel. See what is selected for a Sound Scheme on the Sounds tab and Default Device on the Audio tab.

rdgfx3

rdgfx3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm getting a "The command line argument is invalid" message when I run FixIt. It gave me an error code 0x80070002. Standard windows update error code from what my research shows. The attempt to repair shown here wasn't effective. I haven't been able to attempt any other fix yet. I had to use my "last known good configuration" just before posting here. Windows would get to the splash screen and then reboot. Also, system restore hasn't been able to restore the sound either.

Sound scheme has been set to Windows default as well.

EDIT: I inserted a space in the link. It was playing in my post.

Edit: Fixed link - Z

Edited by Ztruker, 23 July 2013 - 09:33 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
By "wasn't effective" you mean you did the rename and it didn't help or you were not successful doing the rename?

rdgfx3

rdgfx3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes. I did the rename and it wasn't effective. I was able to get the sound back,though. I began to wonder if the motherboard had gone bad so I installed XP on a clean hard drive to see what would happen. The install revealed an issue with the motherboard audio hardware. Before I gave up on the motherboard I went ahead and reinstalled my old Turtle Beach sound card, just to see what would happen. IT WORKED! I was successful in bringing the sound back to the computer. I now have audio once again.

The detailed explanation of how I was able to fix this problem can be summed up in three words. I.don't.know.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Edited by rdgfx3, 25 July 2013 - 12:34 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's good news. Persistence pays off!! Thanks for letting me know.