Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to video a game I am making?

• Please log in to reply

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hello, I want to video a game I am making in the Esenthel game engine and would like some recommended Free software for doing so please. From what I have found most software will only run for a few min's unless I pay and I have no way to pay online. Other software I have found gets bad reviews and it says they contain malware.
Anyone know of any software that will run until I press stop please.

Advertisements

TheBigHelper

TheBigHelper

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Are you asking for game engines you can use to create games? If so I recommend you to check out Unity which is a completely free Game Engine which best suits beginners. It's absolutely user-friendly and has the capability to make heavy games with great detail. It has a paid version which has a bit more features but it is not at all necessary if you are just getting started. And for the game modelling, you will need to use a program like Blender which is a free modelling software which fits under 50MB. It's very strong and capable of doing heavy detailed modelling.

But if you are trying to make small flash games and other 2d browser based games, I recommend you to check out Construct 2 which is an absolutely awesome game engine based on HTML5 that lets you create games with so much depth, physics and almost anything into it. And the best part, it requires absolutely no coding skills from your part. Almost everything can be learned by using the trial and error method and there are pdf's to help you out too. Good luck!

Niyol

Niyol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hello Thebighelper
Thanks for the reply. I have Unity already but preferd Esenthel which I've all ready begun making a game in and I all ready use blender which I've taught myself to use with the help of old you tube.
All I really wanted was some software that could be used to video the screen, as I have tried some but it only works for a short time then stops and want's me to buy it, but there's the dilemma I have no way to pay for stuff online. Sorry I wasn't very clear in my 1st post.
The coding is not a problem it's c++ I think and I will learn as I go along, I got a book on it. I all ready learnt to code a door which I turned into a trap that flings you way up, of which I then wasted 2 hours trying to break a height record by tweaking it lol
Yeah so all I really want is some free software that can video the screen but does not stop after a short while,no adds or malware.

Thank's :thumbsup:

TheBigHelper

TheBigHelper

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Oh alright. So since you don't want to pay for the program, the first program that pops to my mind is Camstudio Screen Recorder which is a great screen recorder with lots of features and helps you save the video in various formats and sizes. When you download it from their website, do download the 'Losless Codec' which is available just below the Camstudio download which is a great codec that results in videos with great quality and very low size. Good luck!

Edited by TheBigHelper, 22 July 2013 - 02:22 AM.

Niyol

Niyol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Thanks Thebighelper

That's just what I needed and good to know about the codec.
I will test it later.

Thank you again :)

:thumbsup:

Edited by o0o, 22 July 2013 - 02:30 AM.

Niyol

Niyol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I got this screen video program to work in the end on win 7 and a vista machine and on both it isn't really much good when filming a game. I'm not even stressing the game by playing it I'm simply running through the 1st world and videoing it and the software went mad on both different machines splitting the screen into 4 sections on watch back and going crazy crazy colours, like in the 60's lol, it al so then for what ever reason plays the just shot vid in a most random order. It happens on both machines so it's not the computer and it works OK if you just film the desk top. Can you recommend a more stable version of this type of video screen capture software please?

Thank you for any help provided :thumbsup:

TheBigHelper

TheBigHelper

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

I got this screen video program to work in the end on win 7 and a vista machine and on both it isn't really much good when filming a game. I'm not even stressing the game by playing it I'm simply running through the 1st world and videoing it and the software went mad on both different machines splitting the screen into 4 sections on watch back and going crazy crazy colours, like in the 60's lol, it al so then for what ever reason plays the just shot vid in a most random order. It happens on both machines so it's not the computer and it works OK if you just film the desk top. Can you recommend a more stable version of this type of video screen capture software please?

Thank you for any help provided :thumbsup:

What you need is Fraps. It is a video capturing software specifically made to capture video games. So games using DirectX and OpenGL can be easily captured using this program. It is the most popular game recording program out there too :)

Niyol

Niyol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hiya TheBigHelper
I can only use 30 second shots with fraps as I have no online means to buy it.
I stumbled upon this list I will try them out and let you know what ones best so if anyone ever asks again you will know from my mistakes :P. Not sure how I missed this list before hand in my search.

Thanks TheBigHelper, your a star :thumbsup:

ezvid
http://www.ezvid.com/

rylstim
http://www.rylstim.c...creen-recorder/

jing
http://www.techsmith.../download/jing/

Hypercam
http://www.hyperioni...c/downloads.asp

Edited by Niyol, 30 July 2013 - 02:31 AM.

Niyol

Niyol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Just to let you know that I've tested them all and what one I found best TheBigHelper and for anyone else that's looking for a free screen recorder.
I found that ezvid is the best not only is it free but it also does a small bit of editing as well, you can add text, music or narrate to your film.
Link is below

ezvid
http://www.ezvid.com/

Hope someone else finds this helpful too :thumbsup:

TheBigHelper

TheBigHelper

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
That's great to know Niyol. I'll make sure I keep this program in mind next time I want to recommend a similar program to anyone else. I've been using Camtasia for quite a long time and hence did not know about many alternatives. Thanks :)

Niyol

Niyol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Your welcome. I didn't know of any at all or have even used one before haha, then again I don't really know much computer stuff but I'm learning thanks to this web site and the people on or is it in it?
Thanks again for your help TheBigHelper :thumbsup: