Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Driver Error

• Please log in to reply

kinolie21

kinolie21

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I bought a computer about two years ago and the hard drive went shortly after buying it. Since I had others, I never really got around to replacing the hard drive until it was necessary, which was this week. It is a Toshiba Satellite C655-s5312. I was able to replace the hardrive and reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium, using the product key on the bottom of the computer. However, every time I attempt to connect to the internet it says "network unavailable". When I attempt to connect to the internet it will not let me connect. It states "windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter. If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver". Troubleshooting states "windows could not find a driver for your network adapter". In Device Manager, under "other devices" there is a yellow triangle caution type sign next to: "ethernet controller, network controller, PCI Simple Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller". One of the suggestions on Toshiba was to click uninstall on these and restart the computer so that it would notice and reinstall the drivers. I did this, and it stated "drivers could not be installed". I also went to the Toshiba website and put several of the driver updates they had available for this computer onto a flash drive and attempted to put them on the computer, but it was confusing as to which one I needed and after attempting about fifteen different ones, to no avail... I am lost. Also, I noticed that when I press the F8 Key, the wireless symbol does not light up. After researching the computer a little, I believe that it is a Qualcomm Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI- E Fast Ethernet Controller... however I guess I am not 100% positive on that. Everything that I attempt to try to fix the problem requires that I have internet... so any help on fixing this would be immensely appreciated!!!!

Thank you!

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Are you wanting to connect this box via ethernet or wireless?

kinolie21

kinolie21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I would like to connect wirelessly, but at this point, I guess whatever I can do.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Not sure if this link will show correctly but you need the chipset driver first.

http://support.toshi...reeText=3149339

kinolie21

kinolie21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I don't understand... I also don't understand what the "chipset driver" is. I was on the page you provided yesterday and put several of the drivers on a flashdrive and attempted to put them on the computer... but I am not sure what drivers I need or if I was doing it correctly...

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Consider this ok.

Yesterday I reinstalled XP onto an old machine and because the driver database in XP is more or less meaningless I had to go to the manufacturer to get drivers for the VGA, Sound, LAN etc.

You have done the same but without knowing the order in which to get the drivers.

The very basic initial driver is the chipset and when you have installed that it may solve a lot of of problems with other driver issues.

Get that, install it and then get back to us if you see any more exclamation marks in Device Manager.

kinolie21

kinolie21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
My problem is that there are hundreds of drivers and I have no idea which one to install or which one is the chipset.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The chipset driver is listed in the left hand panel, click that and it will lead you to the download.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Go to http://support.toshi...reeText=3149339

Click on Drivers and Updates then in the left column click on Chipset. It only shows one:

Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility

That's the first driver you need. Once you have that it may detect the network driver OK. If not:

The Ethernet driver is the one they call WAN (Unclick Chipset, Click on Driver then WAN): Intel PROSet/Wireless WiMAX Software

For WIFI it looks like there are three possibilities (Unclick WAN Click on Driver then WIFI). It would be best to put in your serial number instead of the model number in the box at the top and press GO. That should limit the drivers to just those that belong on your PC.

Ron

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I'll leave the thread with you Ron seeing as I may not know what I am doing.

Advertisements

kinolie21

kinolie21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I completed both and the yellow signs are still there and it still shows that no connections are available "windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter."

kinolie21

kinolie21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Sorry for the multiple posts, I did not mean to hit reply yet. When I click the driver software installation troubleshoot, it states "device driver software was not successfully installed. No driver found for: pci simple communications controller, Ethernet controller, and network controller."

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Right click on (My) Computer and select Manage then Device Manager. Now look in the right pane and find Network Adapters. Click on the + or arrow in front of Network Adapters and it should open up. Does it show any? What are they?

Also look in the right pane and see if you have any Unknowns. If you do, right click on them and select Properties then the Details Tab. If it's not set to look at Device Instance Id click on the drop down arrow and then select Device Instance Id. You should get a long string of characters. Click on the long string of characters and then Ctrl + c to copy it then move to a reply and Ctrl + v to paste it in. Do that for any unknown or any device which is showing a yellow mark.

What is the serial number of your PC?

kinolie21

kinolie21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
There is no "Network Adaptors". Under "Other devices" there are three things: Ethernet Controller, Network Controller, PCI Simple Communications Controller. I followed your directions, however under the details tab, the dropdown menu doesn't have anything that says "instance id"... there is a long list that includes "container id" "base container id" "compatible ids" and "hardware ids"... and tons others, but no instance id. Serial number is 9b266790q.

Thank you.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Let's try the Hardware ID entries. That should give us the info we need.

Looking at the support page with your serial number it highlights Intel PROSet/Wireless WiMAX Software as being the one you need so you might try it. http://support.toshi...eText=9b266790q I can't tell if it actually installs or just unpacks the file. Sometimes it just unpacks and you have to go to the folder it put the file in and run setup.