Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Optics drive fried?

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
I have a dvd burner that also plays cd/dvds. I tried burning some DVD and audio CD and they would not work in any player. Now, the drive itself will not play back any licensed audio cds or dvds. I have to go into the CD file and cut and rip it for the system, then it will play. Any ideas on this?

Edit: I put a cd in the drive and it automatically brings up Media Player. The screen stays blank and when mousing over it, the mouse cursor just spins and after a ridiculous amount of time, it says not responding and nothing further happens. When right clicking on the CD drive in "Computer" there is an option to "Rip using Power2Go" and clicking that let's it finally play.

Media Player is not even on the add remove programs list.

Edited by heartgrave, 21 July 2013 - 02:32 PM.

Advertisements

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Issue resolved. I could not figure out how to remove windows media player. I had to go to Control Panel > Programs > "Turn Windows Features On/Off" > Media Features > Click the + next to it and uncheck Media Player which also unchecked Media Center. I had to restart the computer. I then double clicked the CD drive to play the CD and it auto launched Power2Go, which I also had to uninstall. While doing all this, I was installing VLC media player. Double clicking the CD drive now correctly launched the CD and played the music automatically. I probably could have got away with removing Power2Go and leaving Windows Media Player turned on.

Edit: Windows Media Player will not play the CD still.

Edited by heartgrave, 21 July 2013 - 04:11 PM.