Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DIAL UP PROBS-MISSING MODEMS?ETC

• Please log in to reply

lizabean

lizabean

• Pip
  • 4 posts
[FONT=Arial] :tazz: HI THERE

I am trying to connect to the internet using dial up. I have found that after going through the Device Manager as well as the Internet Connection Wizard it's not working. I have joined a ISP and I get this 'Modem (COM1) device unavailable' in the dial connection properties box.
What does this mean??? The Wizard and Device Manager says everything is all there etc but apparently that Modem device is there as well but is deemed missing or unavailabe. I am very confused.

Have I missed something or have I broken my computer? Please help

Edited by lizabean, 07 June 2005 - 06:50 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose HARDWARE, choose DEVICE MANAGER

anything with a yellow !

?

lizabean

lizabean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you I shall try it when I get home from work. Here's hoping.

lizabean

lizabean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: Yes there are yellow question marks on the COM1 and also a yellow question mark on a Rockwell56K.fax+..something modem thingy.
Does this mean I don't have a modem anymore? ;)

blsimpson

blsimpson

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
No, if it has it in there, the modem is still attached.

You should try reinstalling the drivers for it. Post back when you get that done...

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
yes for all of the yellow ! your driver is wrong or its not there. this is a common problem with harware. you want to find the drivers. click the yellow ! and look for a botton that says find driver or update driver. click this. if that dont work find out who makes the hardware and go to there website and get it there :tazz:

lizabean

lizabean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks everybody Im off to an computer tech store who will check this for me! :tazz:

beano

beano

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm having problems with my modem too now! :tazz:

I've just moved house so no broadband at the minute, but got the phone line going yesterday figuring I could use dialup networking...

WRONG!!

When I open a DUN connection it comes up saying "Modem Removed Standard 56000 Modem (COM1)" or something like that and it doesn't even try and dial.

The modem is NOT in device manager and when I scan for it windows doesn't find it. When I try to add it manually it doesn't even seem to recognise the drivers - when I click 'Have Disk' and select the drivers .inf file it goes back but won't let me click next to continue ;)

I did futter about with the COM ports a few months ago while I was still on broadband (I think it was to do with Bluetooth and/or a USB data cable for a phone).

Can anyone help? PLEASE!

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
! To avoid confusion, do not post your question in someone else's topic. Please start your own.

Bobthemailman :tazz:

beano

beano

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ah my bad, will do - thanks.