Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM Compatability issues

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts

black screen with blinking line at the top

This can be caused by the OS and the MBR in particular, this may be born out by the information provided by Dell in that 8GB of Ram (2GB X 4) will only work with Vista Ultimate X64, you may need to have W7 64-bit Ultimate for the 8GB of Ram to work.

See if the Dell diagnostic tool shows anything amiss

Advertisements

Raryin

Raryin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

black screen with blinking line at the top

This can be caused by the OS and the MBR in particular, this may be born out by the information provided by Dell in that 8GB of Ram (2GB X 4) will only work with Vista Ultimate X64, you may need to have W7 64-bit Ultimate for the 8GB of Ram to work.

See if the Dell diagnostic tool shows anything amiss

Ran the diagnostic tool with CL8 in 0,1 and CL9 in 2,3 and it froze - tried multiple times without success. Strangely it appeared to break at the CPU testing phase or something similar.

I think I'll just have to live with the 4gb I have currently as nothing is working. Thanks anyways for your assistance, it is much appreciated!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Sorry that I have not been able to help :( one more suggestion is to try restoring the MBs default factory settings in the BIOS in case they have been changed somehow.