Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best way to clean Hardware?

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Let's take fan blades into account for this example. I have always used my lungs to clean off my parts, huffin, puffin and blowin until I am ready to pass out. Majority of the dust gets removed but there is a layer always left behind. What do you feel is the best method to remove all the dust? Canned air? Damp rag that will usually not fit all the way into some of the crevices? What do you do to clean your system?

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I always use canned compressed air mate but as long as you get the main off the cpu fan and especially the cpu heatsink then you're pretty good to go.

If you can't get the heatsink off without pulling the processor out too then make sure it's unlocked.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
When you do use compressed air (from the can only) do not spin the fans with it. Always block the blades in doing so.

Also clean it outside. ;)

Edited by Brazened, 22 July 2013 - 10:16 AM.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Is there a such thing as "case fan filters"? I feel that I should get some for my case fans from the amount of dust.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Well to be honest mate I wouldn't bother, any impedance on air flow in and out of the pc would be harmful in the long term.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Canned text for cleaning :)

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick or a Q tip to hold the fan in place whilst you clean it.

Ensure that all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components.

Just a cautionary note - if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.