Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC freezes when playing games? Alt+Tab, CTrl+Alt+Del and even Alt+F

• Please log in to reply

ThatRandomGuy

ThatRandomGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok, thanks. When you mean completely removing the Nvidia drivers, do you mean removing the drivers then using Driver Sweeper? I've already done that and reinstalled the driver. However, I think that it is in fact a memory failure issue. I was able to play Battlefield 3 and my computer became fine when I swapped out the memtest-freezing-SO-DIMM for one of my sister's SO-DIMMs. So there definitely is something wrong with that module and I'm going to buy another one and replace it. When using my sister's SO-DIMM, I couldn't detect any issues or problems anywhere so I think that there isn't any other issue aside from that pesky module. I'll have it replaced. Are there any other checks that you want me to do to ascertain the stability of my PC?

I'm so glad that we've found the problem(or one of the problems). :)

I kept an eye on my RAM usage via the task manager and the freezing only happens when the RAM usage nears 4 GB. It never makes it to 4 GB before freezing. That's why I suspected a memory failure. If you still want the autoruns log to make sure that the RAM was the only problem, then I'll need instructions for its retrieval.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes the autoruns log will help clear up some memory usage by cleaning out programs running in the background you may not know are there.
It does appear that you are correct with the memory. If I may suggest with the price of memory try to get the same kind of memory you already have or buy two new modules so they are the same.

ThatRandomGuy

ThatRandomGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yeah, well, I don't know how to get the Autoruns log. Can I have some instructions please?

Thanks for the recommendations with the RAM. In the event that I can't find the exact same make and model of RAM, how do I make sure the SO-DIMM is compatible and that I can run dual-channel? Also, since I don't really like my Samsung DDR3, 4GB, 667 MHz(PC3-10700), CAS 9.9.9.24, 1.5V module, I may buy another pair. If I do buy another pair, what kind of compatibility issues can I run into with my motherboard? Can I buy 16GB of RAM? Can I buy 1.35V modules? Etc.

Sorry if those RAM questions seem stupid because I don't really know much about RAM (or anything, for that matter). :P

Edited by ThatRandomGuy, 29 July 2013 - 04:30 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Click the Options at the top of the Window. In the new little window click the box that states Hide Microsoft Services
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save the file as AutoRuns.txt file instead of the default .arn to a known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.
8: DO NOT do anything till we have had a chance to study the log and reply with suggestions as to what to remove.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to Crucial online memory scanner your acceptable memory is below.

HERE

Maximum memory seems to be 8 gigs.

ThatRandomGuy

ThatRandomGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the RAM information, that'll go a long way. The Autoruns won't let me hit "Options", even when I run it as administrator. The file size is too big, it's 3.42 MB while the forum only allows for two in a file. Maybe I'll email it to you?

Also, will voltage matter when buying RAM? Will too high or too low a voltage cause problems?

Edited by ThatRandomGuy, 29 July 2013 - 08:49 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Upload your file to something like mediafire and post the link to it. I can then download it from there.
You want to make sure your system can handle the voltages but you can find that out by just checking out the acceptable memory modules for your system.

ThatRandomGuy

ThatRandomGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I'm uploading it to my Dropbox. Here's the link: https://dl.dropboxus...56/AutoRuns.txt

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well that didn't work. I don't know if it is a problem with Hotbox, your hotbox or what but the page will not load.
Has the system been running stable with the change in the ram?

ThatRandomGuy

ThatRandomGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
That's awfully odd... And to answer your question, I haven't gotten new RAM yet.

Try: https://www.dropbox....b64c/wkdq5LK-Gp

Or you could try this again: https://dl.dropboxus...56/AutoRuns.txt

The first link leads you to my public Dropbox folder while the second initiates a download automatically, I believe.

Edited by ThatRandomGuy, 30 July 2013 - 06:09 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I mentioned it because post 12 you had posted that at least one of the modules may be bad and you were going to get with your sister about memory she may have.

ThatRandomGuy

ThatRandomGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yeah, sorry for not realizing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The new link you provided works but the file is unreadable so that won't help.
Have you been playing games with no problems now?

ThatRandomGuy

ThatRandomGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yes, I have. Sorry for the late reply and thank you so much for your support.

Under the recommendation and the explanation of the storeholder, I was coaxed into buying a single 8GB Kingston module so I now have a total of 12 GB of RAM. They work fine and run in dual-channel.

Thanks again for your help. :) Actually, I was editing a video and I messed up so I caused the computer to freeze in the exact same manner at that moment. I don't think it's the same issue though so I've got it handled. What would you recommend I do if this problem resurfaces?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah I don't think the latest freeze is the same issue. I'm still concerned that your drive shows bad sectors and after going through the topic I see no HD diagnostics having been done. Even with the new memory if the HD is failing the frequency of freezes may increase so I would really like to see you run the diagnostics on the HD.