Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP running extremely slow

• Please log in to reply

Shane23

Shane23

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
We have a network of 8 computers with all the same memory and brand but for some reason this computer has been running extremely slow. We do have quick books on this one and one other computer but it doesn't seem to affect the other computer. I have run Adaware, Spybot, and the new.net uninstaller. The only spyware protection I haven't run is hijack this but I for some reason think its something else. What else could it be?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Do you have Norton Antivirus installed on these systems?

After updating to the January 7th or 8th virus definitions, your computer slows down and
Microsoft Word and Excel will not start

http://service1.syma...004010810205113

Situation:
This document describes this problem and how to fix it.

Solution:
Symantec is investigating the cause of the problem at this time.

There is a workaround that will fix the problem until Symantec finds a permanent solution.

To use the workaround

1.. Close all programs.
2.. Start Internet Explorer.
3.. Click Tools > Internet Options.
4.. On the Advanced tab, scroll down through the list box to the Security section.
5.. Deselect the "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" option as shown here: