Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sound disappeared

• Please log in to reply

UncleCreepy

UncleCreepy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey guys.
I was setting up my partners computer (which is an old Packard Bell iMedia MC2569) everything was working fine, formatted it, put all the updates on and now the sound has gone.
We have tried using the motherboard sound, doesnt work, bought a sound card, doesnt work, we are connecting to a TV, so we tried a different TV incase it was the TV but still didnt work..

The cable we are using is just a jack into L R audio for the TV. Its strange how it was working fine, even after format it was working then has just randomly stopped..

The volume settings show that there is sound coming out, we just cant hear it, we also tried to buy some USB speakers and they didnt work either, but all the time the computer is showing that their should be sound, we just arent getting any, all drivers are up to date for the new sound card, Packard Bell decided to stop supporting the computer but after some searching around we found the old default drivers for the computer, again they didnt work..

Ive attached a pic of what the comp is running on, any ideas or help much appreciated..

Attached Thumbnails

• dxdiag.jpg

Advertisements

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hello UncleCreepy

It's just a thought but have you tried rolling back the sound card driver to an earlier version before any updates where applied?
And I would also make sure the leads in the back of the computer are in correctly and have not come lose and wiggle the wires where they go into the computer to check it's not a faulty connection, you probably all ready checked this but I'd check again.

To roll back the sound driver click start/control panel/hardware and sound/sound/
It may have a slightly different path as described above to the sound depending on what OS the PC is using
click the playback tab.
Highlight the speakers and click on properties.
check the device is enabled.
click the levels tab and check its not muted and the volume is up.
Give a quick check to see if there is any sound?
If not go back to the general tab and click on properties.
In the general tab of the box that just opened check it says this device is working correctly?
If that's OK click the driver tab and then roll back the driver.

Good luck Unclecreepy :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
If I can make a suggestion folks :)

Check the computers sound by using the sound tab in dxdiag.

Go to Start > type dxdiag in the search field > press enter and open sound tab at the top of the page.

UncleCreepy

UncleCreepy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi guys it appears the sound card we bought is working now (randomly) lol
Thnx for the replies..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts