Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8 - Desktop

• Please log in to reply

jbljohn

jbljohn

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
I need to replace my 86 year old Mother's computer. She is currently using Windows XP and is comfortable with this operating system. She has also reached the point in life where she is no longer looking to master new challenges i.e. Windows 8. I know she will have to go to Windows 8 and I have read that Microsoft will be introducing the ability to use Windows 8 in a Desktop version. Is this currently available on computers with Windows 8 operating systems. My Mother and I would welcome any other suggestions to make her transition easier.
Thanks!

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The start button that is coming is not what you will expect. So I would recommend a start menu replacement

http://www.classicshell.net/
http://www.extremete...ck-to-windows-8
http://www.stardock....roducts/start8/

Three choices one is free and the other two are $5. or less

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Thank you!! :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,778 posts
As an asides jbljohn, support for Windows 7 (non RTM versions) does not end until January 14, 2020 so W8 is not being forced upon users yet, also keep in mind that new computers that come preinstalled with Windows 8 tend to be less expensive than those supplied with W7 preinstalled (an incentive to move on I suppose) + new computers supplied with Windows 8 Pro can be downgraded free of charge to W7 Pro or Vista Business edition if your Mother does not take to the latest Microsoft offering, some further information on the latter @ http://www.microsoft...bid=7oLLAm-nSre

If you tell us whether you require a desktop or notebook, the country where the purchase will be made and your maximum budget we can look for some suggestions for you.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Thanks to all! Mother just uses her computer for e-mail so I was suspect when the AT&T tech told her she needed a new computer. I had my sister go to the internet not using the Desktop Shortcut and it took her there using Google instead of IE. The computer speed has now returned to an acceptable level. Would like to know if having two browsers on one computer is an issue? Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,778 posts
Thanks for the update jbljohn :thumbsup:

Sounds like a bit of a knee jerk reaction from the AT&T guy suggesting that a new computer was required, one of the most common things that can slow down a computer is when updates are being downloaded and installed, check to see if this ties in with when the AT&T guy was there.

Having both IE and Google is not an issue - it is what I have and I have never had a problem.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Thanks Phillpower2 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,778 posts
You are most welcome jbljohn :thumbsup:

webmaster2

webmaster2

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello,
Greeting to you and your mother well i have to say that windows 8 is available in desktop PC also.
So your mother can also use it as per her convenience...