Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Screen Won't Work

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
It worked yesterday, but won't work today ... I AM able to plug my desktop monitor into the connection and still use the laptop, but I won't be able to fit the monitor in my backpack when I go places ... so can someone help me get this working again? I have no idea what to check, how or where.

dog

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello moondog830

What is the brand and model name or number of the notebook please.

Have you checked that the display has not somehow become toggled to external display only, when we have the notebook details we can research how you check this, some notebooks it is the Fn and F5 being pressed down together and others a single function key that has an image of a screen etched onto it.

As you have identified that you get a display on an external screen you have narrowed the issue down to the following;
1: A bad or disconnected MB to screen ribbon/cable.
2: A failed inverter.
3: A failed backlight.
4: A failed inverter and a failed backlight.

The quickest check that you can do is shine a torch into the screen and look closely to see if any desktop icons are visible in the background, if there are it rules out the MB to screen ribbon/cable, let us know what you find.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
It is a HP Pavilion g7-1310us Notebook

We (my brother-in-law) found that the ribbon/cable was loose and not connected properly.

Thanks!

dog

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
So is the issue now resolved moondog830

As it is an HP product it may be Fn + F4 for toggling between the notebooks own and an external screen.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I would say YES ... this issue is resolved ... I did find out how to switch between the screens and that IS f4 ... but it is in the right setting ...

I was able to hook up my desktop's monitor and assure that I did indeed have it in the right position.

Thanks for assisting

dog

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
I am pleased to hear that the issue is now resolved and thank you for the follow up :thumbsup: