Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

switching off problem help!

• Please log in to reply

ozm8

ozm8

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello guys/gals I recently purchased a new pc it ran all good but was running a little hot and was noisy so I bought a liquid cpu cooler, installed it but for some reason it started turning off.
it did that about 5 times then all of a sudden it stayed on I then did some heavy gaming for about a week but now all of a sudden its started again, its really random I checked to make sure its all plugged in and it seems to be I just don't get.

Can someone please help me out?, thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
:welcome: ozm8

Sounds suspiciously like a poor power connection/system short or possibly a flaky reset button.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

NB: Just so that you are aware using aftermarket CPU coolers (especially ones that contain liquid) can be problematic.

ozm8

ozm8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I wish I could have an answer to that all I know is its a custom built pc and here are the specs

Processor: AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs),@ ~4.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
video: GeForce GTX 660 2gb

I don't know what power supply it has.
Also I have noticed that it happens when I have the pc positioned towards the wall too close but if I bring it in towards myself it doesn't happen, could it be a air flow problem or is it just a coincidence?

I really don't want to put the old cpu fan back on, the cpu I have is notorious for running hot and is very annoying when I'm playing games.

Edited by ozm8, 25 July 2013 - 06:04 PM.

ozm8

ozm8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
is it possible that this cpu cooler uses more volts and maybe the psu doesn't output enough volts

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts

Also I have noticed that it happens when I have the pc positioned towards the wall too close but if I bring it in towards myself it doesn't happen, could it be a air flow problem or is it just a coincidence?

Is the computer connected directly to a power outlet from a wall socket or is it plugged into something like a power strip for example, have you tried using an alternative wall socket/power outlet, I don`t feel that this is any coincidence btw.

It could be an airflow problem but it could also be a power problem, first of all I suggest that you inspect the power cord itself for signs of damage, check the internal connections inside the plug are secure in the terminals, check the back of the case where the power cord plugs into the back of the PSU, do a visual check Only on the wall socket and if it looks amiss have a qualified electrician check it out.
If all of the above checks out as being ok then we will need your PSU details which we will help you obtain for us.

Tip;

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page) thank you for understanding.

ozm8

ozm8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello again sorry for taking your time, No all the power cords seem ok I have opened the pc case but it has no info on it it just says 240 V also for some reason it hasn't happened again since my last post I know its weird seems to only happen at random

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
Thanks for the update ozm8 :thumbsup:

If it happens again make a note of what the computer was doing (idle, web browsing or gaming for example) + the position of the case and power lead etc and we will look into it further for you.