Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Favorite Icons Missing

• Please log in to reply

radiuss

radiuss

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
In my favorite menu and to the left, next to the website names, there is usually the websites logo or some other way to identify it. It's useful to me because I can run my eye down the list and just look for the icon. Well about 30-40% of them are missing. Do you know of any way I can see them all?

ETA: I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and Firefox. I reset Firefox just recently and now more of the favIcons are missing, there is just a empty box to the left of the website name.

Edited by radiuss, 25 July 2013 - 07:44 AM.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi radiuss,

That same issue with disappearing favicons occurred back when Firefox updated from an earlier version a few years back for many other users as well. If I remember correctly, it had something to do with the places.sqlite file.

There's a possibility that your places.sqlite file is partially corrupt and is causing that problem, but the "fix" involves deleting that file with Firefox closed, so that when you start Firefox a new places.sqlite file will be created. The downside is that all your browsing history will be gone, and all your saved Favicons will also be gone. The bookmark backup file that is used to restore your bookmarks after deleting that file doesn't backup the Favicons.

Which version of Firefox is presently installed?

Open a new tab in Firefox and type places.sqlite into Search:
That should display storage.vacuum.last.places.sqlite and to the far right you will see a value. Could you please post the value listed in your next post?

Donna :)

Also check to make sure you are not using the Private Browsing mode. Firefox will not save the favicon in that mode.

radiuss

radiuss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Donna, I get a server not found error when I open a new tab and type places.sqlite in the address/serach bar

ETA: I am running version 22.0

Edited by radiuss, 27 July 2013 - 01:16 AM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Ho boy! I left out the most important part! Talk about feeling silly!!! :wacko: Guess I had a longer day than I thought. Please accept my apologies. :blush:

Please allow me to rephrase that:

Open a new tab in Firefox then type about:config in the address bar. Press your Enter key. You'll receive a warning stating something about avoiding your warranty and a button to click declaring, "I'll be careful, I promise". Now type places.sqlite into the Search: bar at the top.

That should display storage.vacuum.last.places.sqlite and to the far right you will see a value. Under the value column on my Firefox browser it displays --> 1373132651.

radiuss

radiuss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Ho boy! I left out the most important part! Talk about feeling silly!!! :wacko: Guess I had a longer day than I thought. Please accept my apologies. :blush:

Please allow me to rephrase that:

Open a new tab in Firefox then type about:config in the address bar. Press your Enter key. You'll receive a warning stating something about avoiding your warranty and a button to click declaring, "I'll be careful, I promise". Now type places.sqlite into the Search: bar at the top.

That should display storage.vacuum.last.places.sqlite and to the far right you will see a value. Under the value column on my Firefox browser it displays --> 1373132651.

haha, got it.

My value is different than yours, mine is: 1374385367

Edited by radiuss, 27 July 2013 - 08:15 AM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
:happy:

Hm? Ok. I'm not sure that makes a difference or not, but before you go modifying that value let me update my Firefox from the 21.0 to 22.0 version. I've been putting the update off since it came out and the difference may be due to the version.

Back as soon as possible.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Well that's down right odd! I just updated to version 22.0 and storage.vacuum.last.places.sqlite doesn't even exist. Allow me a bit of time to research this issue.

My favicons are fine after the update, by the way. :whistling:

radiuss

radiuss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Sure no problem, thanks.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Donna, not in my FF 22 either.

Hmmmm, it is in Seamonkey 2.19 which is supposed to be equivalent to FF 22.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Ztruker :)

storage.vacuum.last.places.sqlite doesn't exist in your FF 22.0 either, or do you mean the value is different as radiuus's value is?

How long ago had you updated? If recently, as I had, have you rebooted your computer?

Not sure if that makes a difference but, I have been off line for awhile trying to re-secure my modem/router after tech support came over to replace outdated dish for my satellite connection and now that I am up and going again, I just typed places:config into my browser and storage.vacuum.last.places.sqlite is now there along with many other preferences and values that were not there before. The value I found is still the same as it was with FF 21.0 > 1373132651

Even though FF did reboot after the update, I had not rebooted my computer after the update to vs 22.0

@ radiuus,

Try SpeedyFox and let me know if the issue persists. I use this tool and it is 100% safe.

DO NOT download the tool from the article link above. I just linked you to the article so you could read what I found in the first paragraph:

SpeedyFox optimizes and cleans-up the SQLite databases that hold your bookmarks, preferences, and the like.

I have provided a link directly to the executable below:

Download SpeedyFox for Windows (570kb) that is found under Download: to your desktop.
  • Click on the download link then Save File button in the box that pops up..
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon (for Vista and above, right click and choose Run as administrator).
  • Next, click on the Posted Image button and allow it to complete.
Shouldn't take very long depending on how big the Firefox profile is.

Advertisements

radiuss

radiuss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Hi Ztruker :)

storage.vacuum.last.places.sqlite doesn't exist in your FF 22.0 either, or do you mean the value is different as radiuus's value is?

How long ago had you updated? If recently, as I had, have you rebooted your computer?

Not sure if that makes a difference but, I have been off line for awhile trying to re-secure my modem/router after tech support came over to replace outdated dish for my satellite connection and now that I am up and going again, I just typed places:config into my browser and storage.vacuum.last.places.sqlite is now there along with many other preferences and values that were not there before. The value I found is still the same as it was with FF 21.0 > 1373132651

Even though FF did reboot after the update, I had not rebooted my computer after the update to vs 22.0

@ radiuus,

Try SpeedyFox and let me know if the issue persists. I use this tool and it is 100% safe.

DO NOT download the tool from the article link above. I just linked you to the article so you could read what I found in the first paragraph:

SpeedyFox optimizes and cleans-up the SQLite databases that hold your bookmarks, preferences, and the like.

I have provided a link directly to the executable below:

Download SpeedyFox for Windows (570kb) that is found under Download: to your desktop.
  • Click on the download link then Save File button in the box that pops up..
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon (for Vista and above, right click and choose Run as administrator).
  • Next, click on the Posted Image button and allow it to complete.
Shouldn't take very long depending on how big the Firefox profile is.

Hey Donna,
I ran as administrator, let it run and then restarted to no avail. Still about 30-40% of the favIcons are missing. Do you have nay other suggestions? Thanks for what you have done so far for me =)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
radiuss, I am totally baffled here. Lots of questions:

Were the Favicons fine in version 21.0 before the update to version 22.0?

What happens when you try accessing the site again by clicking on the favicons? Does that correct the issue?

What encouraged you to reset FF? The missing favicons?

I have found a few other similar situations that others experienced and their solution was to revert back to FF 21.

I'm still looking for an answer. :)

Edited by DonnaB, 28 July 2013 - 09:30 AM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Found the following Add-on. If all else fails, that might correct the problem if you'd like to try it:

Favicon Restorer 1.4

radiuss

radiuss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

radiuss, I am totally baffled here. Lots of questions:

Were the Favicons fine in version 21.0 before the update to version 22.0?

What happens when you try accessing the site again by clicking on the favicons? Does that correct the issue?

What encouraged you to reset FF? The missing favicons?

I have found a few other similar situations that others experienced and their solution was to revert back to FF 21.

I'm still looking for an answer. :)

-Yes the Favicons were fine in version 21.
-When I click on the missing favicon "dotted box" looking square it does not bring the icons back
-I forgot now why I reset firefox, sorry.

-I installed the add on you linked and now instead of the dotted box square where the website's logo should be there is an empty page icon. lol it's time for bed (Korea time) so I may just revert back to version 21 in the morning unless you have anything else. Trust me, this is just getting too annoying to bother with anymore =)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Yes. I do know how frustrating that can be. I was one who was affected with this very same dilemma a year r so ago that was the result from an update. Drove me nuts! Like you, I rely on those little images to find a site quickly in my bookmarks or history.

If I do come across anything, I'll certainly let you know. :)