Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cleaning my Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Anarchy

Anarchy

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hey G2G,

Just a quick question. There appears to be dust and some other stuff on my keyboard and I was wondering what the best way to clean it is. And also, what's the best way to go about cleaning my laptop?

Regards,
Anarchy

Advertisements

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hello
I reasearched it on the net and they all seem to go along the idea out lined on this link.
http://www.howtoclea...aptop-keyboard/

When I do mine I just use a small artist's paint brush to first clean out anything between the keys and then give it a light shake upside down so any loose bits can fall out, then I put a screen wipe over the tip of the brush and gently move it between the keys.

:thumbsup:

Anarchy

Anarchy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
What kind of brush do you get? Would a cu-tip be appropriate. See there is some junk right by my space bar and in between some keys.

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I use my 6 year old's paint brush lol, the bristles are medium bristly and its one of the narrow but wide brushes.
I don't really know about a q-tip I wouldn't like to say, looking at one it looks to big to go between keys and I wouldn't force anything. There is always canned compressed air if you can get some at your local computer shop or online, you could try that and give it a blow. :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I suggest the following guide for most brands and models of notebook http://h10025.www1.h...product=3927423 take the notebook outside on a dry day to do this btw.

For cleaning a notebook keyboard also take it outside on a dry day and use canned compressed air and a firm but not hard small artists paintbrush, use the brush in a forward motion and clear any debris with the occasional short blast of the canned air.

Anarchy

Anarchy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hey guys,

I've done quite a bit of work. Seeing as I didn't have a paintbrush anywhere I decided to use a q-tip and focused it between the keys and got rid of quite a bit. I also used compressed air. Then I wiped down the keyboard with Windex and cleaned the laptop like that. Is that okay?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Sounds ok to me as long as you didn`t overdo the Windex as you wouldn`t want it getting onto the MB etc

Anarchy

Anarchy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Nope, all I did was spray once and wipe down the keys. Then I wiped the monitor and that is all :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
All good then Anarchy a nicely clean and fragrant smelling notebook it is then :) :thumbsup: