Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Application not found error - sub folders pictures, video and music

• Please log in to reply

baddabing101

baddabing101

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hello,

I'm having a problem opening some of my folders in vista 32bit. When i double click on one of the sub folders inside the pictures main folder, it is popping up with an error window saying "application not found". I can still access my pictures (document folders are opening up ok) but have to use the list on the left of the window, or alternatively right click>explore, instead of clicking on the desired folder directly. My music folder and video folder have the same issue.

I've tried recovery disc, but to no avail - it was saying i had a usb device connected* and therefore couldn't run. Furthermore, I didn't have any restore points for some reason. I ran malware bytes, hitman pro, done some regfixes, found a few things but my problem still persists.

Have you had any experience of this problem before? Hope you can help.

*connected ipad earlier to itunes - think this might have caused it as i didnt disconnect the device correctly just after i tried dragging a picture the to the ipad...

Hopefully someone here has come across this problem before.

Thanks

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi there, again :)

This sounds like an association problem

Download Windows Repair (all in one) from this site

Install the programme then run

Posted Image

On the start repairs tab click start
Posted Image

Select the following item and tick restart system when finished

Let me know if that fixes it

baddabing101

baddabing101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hi,

Thanks for your help. :thumbsup: Unfortunately it did not solve the problem. :upset:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you re-insert the iPad then safely remove the device. Does that make a difference

baddabing101

baddabing101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
It has connected, but I am getting a pop up saying, "iTunes was unable to load provider data from sync services. Reconnect or try again later." It was working fine earlier when I connected it.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

I'm having a problem opening some of my folders in vista 32bit. When i double click on one of the sub folders inside the pictures main folder, it is popping up with an error window saying "application not found". I can still access my pictures (document folders are opening up ok) but have to use the list on the left of the window, or alternatively right click>explore, instead of clicking on the desired folder directly. My music folder and video folder have the same issue.

So from the start menu or explorer you can open the main folder but not any subfolder

Could you create a new subfolder in the affected folders and let me know if you can access those normally

baddabing101

baddabing101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

So from the start menu or explorer you can open the main folder but not any subfolder

Could you create a new subfolder in the affected folders and let me know if you can access those normally

That's correct. New folders won't open either.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Ta that gives me a hint as to where to work

Could you download the takeownership zip file from here http://www.howtogeek...-menu-in-vista/

Extract the take ownership reg file to the desktop
Right click and select merge
Then go to the main folders of Music/videos/documents
Tight click each in turn and select "Take ownership"
A black box may open and some commands run through
Once completed let me know if the problem persists

baddabing101

baddabing101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Thanks but there is no change. :blink:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you right click one of the recalcitrant folders and select properties
I am interested in the file type and location. Are they correct as in my example

Advertisements

baddabing101

baddabing101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Yes, they're the same.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK next step look at the share properties

Do this on the subfolders only .. I would suggest that you do the folder that you were initially transferring data to the iPad from

Right click and choose properties.

In the properties

Click on the Security tab shown in the pic below to the right) and check that the users and their permission (shown in the pic bellow center and left) are correctly configured. Then do the same to the Permission tab.

Taken from http://answers.micro...5c-33417ba396a3

baddabing101

baddabing101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Thanks but no change.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Do you still get the error when you plug in the iPad ? I am still trying to find the possible reason behind the error, once I know the reason the solution should be self evident :)

The iTunes error may be due to the iPad synching when you removed it from the PC

In which case a repair to the PC iTunes may cure that problem

Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features
Right click iTunes and select repair

baddabing101

baddabing101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Good idea. Have repaired iTunes but still get error when trying to open sub folder.