Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Application not found error - sub folders pictures, video and music

• Please log in to reply

baddabing101

baddabing101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

SATA drives are much easier to play with than the old IDE. I assume you have a second SATA connector on the motherboard. Just plug up the new drive and clone it.

Something like EaseUS Disk Copy Home Edition 2.3.1 should work to clone the drive.

http://www.easeus.co...y/home-edition/

You will need to burn a bootable CD or USB drive and boot off it since you can't clone when Windows has control of the drive. Just download and Save the software then run it and choose which you option you want to use. You may need to go into your BIOS/CMOS setup and change the boot order so it looks at your USB or CD/DVD first. Then once it boots, do a Disk Copy, select the Samsung as the Source and the Hitachi as the Destination. (Make sure you get the source and destination correct or you could wipe the drive!)

Once the cloning is done it should be a simple matter of removing the old drive and moving its cables to the new. Or you can go into the BIOS/CMOS setup and change the boot order so it boots from the new drive.

Yes, I have a 2nd connector. Think I'll just buy a new HD as the 3TB ones are going for what I paid for the 500gb one these days.

How do i make a bootable CD? and what size disc/usb drive would i need?

Thanks

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Pretty easy to make a CD. Just put in a blank, run the EaseUS Disk Copy Home Edition 2.3.1 program, check the CD/DVD button and make sure it points to the right CD/DVD drive then Proceed.

Not sure about the USB drive. The program is only 43 M so I wouldn't think it would need to be too big.

baddabing101

baddabing101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Pretty easy to make a CD. Just put in a blank, run the EaseUS Disk Copy Home Edition 2.3.1 program, check the CD/DVD button and make sure it points to the right CD/DVD drive then Proceed.

Not sure about the USB drive. The program is only 43 M so I wouldn't think it would need to be too big.

i thought bootable cd's with ISO files were around 3GB?

baddabing101

baddabing101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Sea tools isnt detecting my HD. it just says USB-1394 under detected drives.

Edited by baddabing101, 12 August 2013 - 12:19 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
So the website lied that they considered Samsung to be one of theirs.

OK. Let's try speedfan.

Not sure if we have tried it before or not:
If not get it:
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Download, save and Install it then run it.

(I have had complaints that it also installed some adware but I tried it yesterday and didn't see any. Just make sure you uncheck anything else besides Speedfan.)

Once it is running there is a tab for S.M.A.R.T. Click on it and then use the drop down arrow to select your hard drive. Once you do that there will be a button for Extended Test. Haven't tried it myself but it seems promising.