Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trying to backup a Dell Inspiron 6400 with a WD Elements drive

• Please log in to reply

handi

handi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Trying to backup a Dell Inspiron 6400. I own a WD Elements drive. The Dell has one 2.0 port. I am using that. But the computer won't bring the WD drive up on the backup utility. Any suggestions?

Edited by handi, 26 July 2013 - 06:11 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: handi

The Dell has one 2.0 port

The notebook specs list it as having 4 USB 2.0 ports, do I have the correct notebook http://www.notebookc...400.1307.0.html

Couple of questions if I may;

What OS are you using as in XP, Vista, W7 etc.

To which "backup utility" are you referring to.

Have you successfully used the WD device with this notebook before.

Does the WD have a power LED on the adapter or the HDD itself and if so is it lit up when the power is on.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The thing is Handi is that unless there is a separate backup partition on the laptop hard drive or you have not chosen an external drive to backup to then the machine will never back up as it has nowhere to backup to..

Consider this image where I have chosen one of my external drives, the Maxtor, to backup to.

backup.shf.png

To change your backup to the WD click Manage Space.