Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sudden Slow Computer Speed Killing Me/Virus?

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Uninstall

Bonjour

You don't need it and it is causing errors. You will get a new version next time you install Apple software like Safari or itunes.

We are seeing a lot of errors like this one:

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 25/08/2013 8:03:34 PM
Type: Warning Category: 0
Event: 51 Source: disk
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check. C:
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Check both boxes and then click Start.
You will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check and reboot.

Repeat the disk check for every hard drive and every USB drive tho it will probably not require a reboot for any but C:\

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 26/08/2013 2:51:37 AM
Type: Warning Category: 7
Event: 509 Source: ESENT
Windows (4236) Windows: A request to read from the file "L:\BRUCE-PC\Indexed Files\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb" at offset 1581056 (0x0000000000182000) for 8192 (0x00002000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (2907 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. In addition, 0 other I/O requests to this file have also taken an abnormally long time to be serviced since the last message regarding this problem was posted 0 seconds ago. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

More likely the search index file has grown impossibly large.

Disable the Windows Search service per

http://www.howtogeek...exing-in-vista/

Delete the file:

L:\BRUCE-PC\Indexed Files\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb

You can reenable the Windows Search and it should start building the index again. (or you can just leave it off) You should make sure it is not trying to index any backup drives or any removable drives.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 25/08/2013 1:25:04 AM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 7000 Source: Service Control Manager
The Google Update Service (gupdate) service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 25/08/2013 1:25:01 AM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 7009 Source: Service Control Manager
A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Google Update Service (gupdate) service to connect.

I would try to uninstall Google Update Helper if it won't install then stop the service:

Right click on My Computer and select Manage (Continue) then Services and Applications then Services. Find Google Update and right click on it and select Properties. Change the Start up Type to Disabled. OK.

Now clear the events and run vew as before:

Right click on (My) Computer and select Manage (Continue) Then click on the arrow in front of Event Viewer. Next Click on the arrow in front of Windows Logs Right click on System and Clear Log, Clear. Repeat for Application.

Reboot.

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your Desktop:

2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.

How is it running now?

Advertisements