Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop disappeared - urgent help required

• Please log in to reply

nrobe

nrobe

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Desktop disappeared - urgent help required

I have an operating system disc - don't know how to use it.

can you help.

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Well if you want to do a fresh install...
How To Clean Install Windows XP (Part 1 of 4)

If you want to try to fix it. Please be more specific.

nrobe

nrobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I require a restoration of desktop, icons, start menu, taskbar.

No - I don't want to do a clean install.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Another possibility:

Before doing any of the following, make a backup of your registry. I suggest you install ERUNT to do this.

Your files are still there. Sounds like your user profile has lost it's connection with where it's data is stored. If you are comfortable with using regedit, try this by booting to Safe Mode by pressing F8 during boot. Login as Administrator, no password.

The key is a registry hack that redirects Windows back to the ProfileImagePath of the original profile.

Click on Start then Run. type regedit and press Enter or click OK.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Once there, you will see the SID's listed for all of the profiles on the machine. Something like this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-18
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-19
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-20
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-2734701773-3490380084-605924724-1001
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-2734701773-3490380084-605924724-1004
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-2734701773-3490380084-605924724-500

On my system, my profile is under the ome that ends in 1001, your may be different, check them all.

Within the Key for each SID there is an entry called "ProfileImagePath" that will look like

ProfileImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ C:\Users\UserName...

Scroll through the SID's until you find the one with the screwy name, like

%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\youruserid.2

This is just an example, could be something else weird.

Just edit the Key to remove the ".2", and it will point the user back to their old profile...

Got this from TechRepublic.com

Also some excellent information here: http://www.lockergno...p-user-profile/

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Any other symptoms?

I would recommend this one:
Please go to Malware Removal Forum and read the instructions there (topic: Malware and spyware cleaning guide). Someone from the Malware Staff will help you to solve your problem.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
One other possibility: Fix a corrupted user profile by creating a new one

nrobe

nrobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
No - none of that working.

Have not tried the malware forum yet.

Cannot download erunt if there is nothing to download to - I have only got a blank screen.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hello nrobe

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

No - none of that working.

Have not tried the malware forum yet.

Cannot download erunt if there is nothing to download to - I have only got a blank screen.

Is this the same computer that gringo_pr helped you with on the malware forums?

As an asides nrobe can I ask that you note the following from my signature and do not also leave this thread hanging, thank you.

Staff and Members give their time freely to help others, please be courteous and conclude your topic if assistance is no longer required.

It only takes a moment to do and knowing any outcome either good or bad is always helpful.

nrobe

nrobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Notebook

Compaq presario V5000 series [5002]
Sempron processor 3000

Windows xp home edition

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can create a new user profile by booting to Safe Mode by pressing F8 during boot, then login as Administrator. Open Control Panel then User Accounts and create a new Administrator level account.

Reboot normally and login with the new account then follow the instructions in the link I gave you: Fix a corrupted user profile by creating a new one

Here are other instructions to do the same thing in a different, and perhaps easier, way.

Create a Duplicate User Profile with a Different Name

Advertisements

nrobe

nrobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
No - none of that works.

I am able to find safe start. No desktop icons, start menu, task bar - blank screen.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Download and run Unhide by gringler and let me know the outcome. The application will unhide all files and folders in the computer, except those marked as System.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What doesn't work? What did you try and what was the result?

If you don't provide meaningful responses I can't be of much help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

What doesn't work? What did you try and what was the result?

If you don't provide meaningful responses I can't be of much help.

Indeed :(

nrobe

nrobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have the desktop back again. Icons, start bar, etc.

Malware bytes, anti malware did not find any problem.

Sysyt tray and security, says updates not working.

any help.