Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem installing new laptop HDD / Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

warrenpizza

warrenpizza

• Pip
  • 6 posts
As always, any help appreciated.

I installed the new HDD. Seemed to go fine.

Set CD/DVD drive at top of boot order. Put Win 7 installation disc in drive. Rebooted. Pressed a key at "Press Any Key To Boot From CD or DVD."

"Starting Windows" appeared, and a few seconds later the DVD drive stopped running and the screen froze. Hasn't changed in ten minutes.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello warrenpizza

Couple of questions if I may;
Is the HDD out of the box new.
Did you format and partition the HDD.
What type of Windows 7 disk do you have as in is it a full retail, OEM, downloaded ISO or a burned copy.

warrenpizza

warrenpizza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello warrenpizza

Couple of questions if I may;
Is the HDD out of the box new.
Did you format and partition the HDD.
What type of Windows 7 disk do you have as in is it a full retail, OEM, downloaded ISO or a burned copy.

Hi, thanks for answering.

The HDD is out of the box new.

I didn't format and partition the HDD. When I booted up without the Win 7 disc I got the message "Reboot and select proper boot device," so I had no way to access the HDD.

The Win 7 disk is full retail. I also tried with a downloaded ISO and a burned copy of the retail disc.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Windows 7 will format and partition a new HDD for you, first of all I suggest that you double check the BIOS to ensure that the boot sequence is still set as the DVD drive first and the HDD second, if it is please refer to the following W7 tutorial http://www.sevenforu...-7-install.html

As an asides are you sure that the DVD drive itself functions ok as a CD device cannot be used to install Windows 7 due to the video content, all is not lost if the DVD drive does have a problem as you can download an ISO to a USB thumbdrive that has a storage capacity larger than 4GB.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

warrenpizza

warrenpizza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Windows 7 will format and partition a new HDD for you, first of all I suggest that you double check the BIOS to ensure that the boot sequence is still set as the DVD drive first and the HDD second, if it is please refer to the following W7 tutorial http://www.sevenforu...-7-install.html

As an asides are you sure that the DVD drive itself functions ok as a CD device cannot be used to install Windows 7 due to the video content, all is not lost if the DVD drive does have a problem as you can download an ISO to a USB thumbdrive that has a storage capacity larger than 4GB.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Again, thanks.

The tutorial doesn't apply so far, unfortunately, because the process doesn't reach the Install Now screen. It's still hanging on Starting Windows.

The boot sequence is set with the DVD drive first. The DVD drive always worked fine with DVDs before this.

Maybe I should try the USB route in case it works better.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
As a quick check try the W7 disk in another computer that is already booted into Windows to see if you can check what is on the disk + check the surface of the disk in case it has somehow become scratched.

If the above check out as being ok before doing anything else we should check that the HDD is connected to the MB correctly (on some MBs you cannot put a boot device on SATA port 3 for example) we could also do with knowing the MB and HDD brand and model name or number details.