Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

.mov files are choppy

• Please log in to reply

shelleywa

shelleywa

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi all,

I took my new camera to a festival this weekend to try it out. I got some good shots and videos, which I've uploaded to my laptop. The videos (.mov files) play fine on the camera but not on my laptop. I first tried VideoLAN, which was very choppy, then Apple Quicktime, which wasn't much better. Then remembered the software that came with the camera, ViewNX2. This is better but still not right.

Does anyone know if this is likely to be a problem with my laptop (speed etc.) or is there something I can try within the software? Maybe I need to convert the file to a more suitable format? But I'm not sure which one would be best for this.

Any advice gratefully received!

For reference, my laptop spec is:

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU
T5250 @ 1.50GHz
1.50GHz, 2.99GB RAM
OS MS Win XP Pro 2002, SP2

I hope this helps!

Advertisements

TheBigHelper

TheBigHelper

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Hello shelleywa,
I'm not exactly sure why the video is choppy on your computer because it doesn't sound to be a problem with your drivers. Other videos on your computer works fine right? Can you try and download one more media player and try playing the video using it? If so, here is Umplayer which is a free and efficient media player with all the popular codecs per-installed.

You have sufficient amount of RAM on your PC so maybe it is being underutilized. Is the camera recordings 720p/1080p? And does your RAM usage spikes to 100% while you try to play the video? In that case, you can try the video converters like you have said and convert the video to another format with a lower resolution.

And as for the conversino programs you asked, you can try any of the two freewares K-Lite Video Conversion Pack or SoThink Coverter both being free video converters available. If you are looking for a paid app to do the job, and obviously much more efficiently, check out ImTOO Mpeg Encoder Ultimate which is a nifty tool that will do the job great.

Edited by TheBigHelper, 28 July 2013 - 06:37 AM.

shelleywa

shelleywa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have checked the CPU usage. It goes from 1%-8% when not playing the video, up to 80%+ when playing the video. The videos are 1080p.
I have converted them to WMV files and they work fine.

Thanks for your help!

TheBigHelper

TheBigHelper

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
You're welcome. Glad I could be of help to you shelleywa :)