Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UPGRADING COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply

Kristof

Kristof

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I want to upgrade my computer for playing newer games without any problem (for exemple bf4,...).
I don't know anything about computers so I really need some help!

My current computer:
- Antec NSK4000 (No PSU)
- Recom 450Watt Silent PSU
- Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L
- Intel Core-2-Duo E8500 - 3.16Ghz - 6Mb
- Transcend 2048MB DDR2-800Mhz Value
- Samsung SH-S203P 20x DVD+/-(Re)Writer SATA
- Gigabyte Geforce 9800GT - 1Gb
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500Gb/16Mb SATAII
- Montage
- Microsoft windows XP home OEM NL/FR/UK
- D-Link DWL-G510 PCI
- NOD32 Antivirus

So can someone please tell me: 1) What to upgrade, 2) the possible alternative, 3) the price of the alternative.
Thank you so much for helping!

Kristof

Edited by phillpower2, 28 July 2013 - 07:10 AM.
email address removed for security

Advertisements

TheBigHelper

TheBigHelper

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Hello Kristof,
:welcome: Since you have not mentioned the budget you have for the upgrade, I will post some gaming rigs you can take a look at.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: A-Data XPG Gaming Series v2.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

Total: £715.55

Of course you can exclude the HDD option since you have a decent 500GB Barracuda.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello Kristof

So can someone please tell me: 1) What to upgrade, 2) the possible alternative, 3) the price of the alternative

The honest answer is the whole computer and TheBigHelper has provided a list of parts for you to consider + the costs, is that what you are looking for or to only upgrade the present computers hardware?

Kristof

Kristof

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello Kristof,
:welcome: Since you have not mentioned the budget you have for the upgrade, I will post some gaming rigs you can take a look at.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: A-Data XPG Gaming Series v2.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

Total: £715.55

Of course you can exclude the HDD option since you have a decent 500GB Barracuda.

Hi,

Thanks for replying and for trying to help me!
Is it possible to only spend 500-600 euro on it? ;)
And what windows should I use?

Thanks,
Kristof

Kristof

Kristof

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello Kristof

So can someone please tell me: 1) What to upgrade, 2) the possible alternative, 3) the price of the alternative

The honest answer is the whole computer and TheBigHelper has provided a list of parts for you to consider + the costs, is that what you are looking for or to only upgrade the present computers hardware?

Hi,

Also thank you for replying!
Is it really necessary to buy all the parts that TheBigHelper told me? Would you recommand me the same parts that TheBigHelper recommands me?
(My goal is to play games that have came out recently or games that will come out soon on a smoothly way, without any laggs.)
I hoped I could still use some current parts of my computer to safe some money, but if its not possible I understand.

Thanks,
Kristof

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello Kristof

Keep your case but add more cooling fans if you only have the standard 120mm rear chassis fan http://www.antec.com...SK4000_spe.html

Your PSU is poor quality and should be replaced to protect your new hardware, what little information that I could find on it shows that while Recom say the output is 450W the maximum load is actually only 360W http://www.realhardt...s/Page24891.htm

- Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L
- Intel Core-2-Duo E8500 - 3.16Ghz - 6Mb
- Transcend 2048MB DDR2-800Mhz Value

All dated technology and need replacing.

- Samsung SH-S203P 20x DVD+/-(Re)Writer SATA

Reuse this to help keep the cost down by a few euros at least.

- Gigabyte Geforce 9800GT - 1Gb

Also dated and should be replaced.

- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500Gb/16Mb SATAII

Reuse this and again to keep costs down, the HDD will have to be formatted though due to the fact that the OS on the drive is an OEM version and so the product key is tied to the present Gigabyte MB.

- Microsoft windows XP home OEM NL/FR/UK

As explained above it must be replaced as it is the OEM version.

I will see what I can put together for your budget and get back to you, in which country will you be purchasing the new hardware and OS.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Kristof

Kristof

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hallo,

I live in belgium. But I heard that computer parts in the netherlands are a lot cheaper (even with the transport costs), so I'm thinking of buying them there? (or is this not reliable?)
I think I have a budget of like 500-600 euro but I don't know any prices of the computer parts, so I have no idea if this is a good budget or not... (if its a little more its oké i guess ;)).
It just has to be as cheap as possible for still a good computer (ofcourse ;)) so I can play new games that will come out soon (cod: ghost, bf4,...) without laggs (this is really important).
If I can't play the games in highest quality, that would be regrettable, but I can live with that.

Again, thank you so much for helping!
Kristof :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello Kristof

Unfortunately your budget will not allow for an Intel based build but worry not AMD also produce very good CPUs http://fr.pcpartpick...wer2/saved/24fn

Check out the costs for downloading W8 64-bit as your OS to save some cash.