Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help: Blue Screen of death!

• Please log in to reply

Mr_Nut

Mr_Nut

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,

Very recently I've been having a lot of BSOD's. It's getting to the point where I will throw my computer out of the window... I was wondering if anyone could save me from doing that?

It doesn't matter overly what programs I run, it will still do it fairly randomly.
I have attached the BSOD report to this post!

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files

• Attached File  BSOD.txt   1.84KB   140 downloads

Edited by Mr_Nut, 28 July 2013 - 06:43 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: Mr_Nut

Can you run Speccy and post the url for us please http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web

Have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red Xs, particularily along side the Network Devices entry.

Mr_Nut

Mr_Nut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,
Thanks for the welcome!
I have checked the device manager, shown hidden devices and then checked for the yellow !'s and the red X's. None showed up.
Also, in addition, I am using Microsoft Security Essentials and Outpost firewall.

Here is the speccy link that you have asked for.
http://speccy.pirifo...45ujVum1OtCOzUm

Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

While I look at your Speccy report can you disable Driver Verifier and see if the problem is resolved, please refer to Option 2 @ http://www.sevenforu...le-disable.html let us know how it goes.

If disabling Driver Verifier resolves the issue I suggest that you refer to Option 1 at the link and run the extended test and see what it shows up, do this overnight or when you are out for the day as the test can take many hours.

You are welcome BTW :)

Mr_Nut

Mr_Nut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,

After doing what you said, which was to disable the driver verifier, I had to boot into safe mode as it wouldn't boot the first time properly, it just got stuck at the Starting windows screen and then re-do disabling the verifier...
I then rebooted and logged in it then gave me another BSOD.

Again, I have attached the log :)

Thanks

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Please restore the computer so that Driver Verifier is enabled, the safe mode behavior is normal btw.

Nothing showing in Speccy that would explain the crashes, the latest of which was caused by a mouse driver, two things for you to do;

First please run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to
http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=25271813

Second run DriverMax and see if any driver updates are recommended http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/ please note that you are only allowed to download two drivers a day for free and be sure to uncheck the "install AVG toolbar" option.

Let us know what if any driver updates are suggested before downloading/installing anything please.

Mr_Nut

Mr_Nut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,

I realised I made an error on my part. I was trying to enable something that was already enabled! I followed the wrong method and I was trying to enable it instead of disabling it.
I have now disabled it and I have not encountered any more issues at this time... I hope that it stays that way :lol:!

I have installed drivermax and it has said that I have 12 out of date drivers, however I have checked my GPU's manufactures program and it has said that it is not out of date and fully functional.
So I'm in two minds of what to do about that, knowing that some GPU updates from outsourced programs can break things. :confused:
I have also checked the windows update and that all of the drivers and updates from there are done. So it can't be a windows update issue?

Anyway, it seems that it has been fixed... For now. And I really do hope that it stays this way!
Thanks for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello Mr_Nut

No worries about making the odd slip up every now and then (I replied to the wrong topic once :whistling: ) but thanks for letting us know in any event :thumbsup:

The idea behind disabling Driver Identifier was to see if the issue still occurred because if it did it points towards hardware as opposed to a driver issue, I still suggest that at some point you run the extended test to find the driver/s causing the problem, the decision is yours however.

Regarding the driver updates, I never suggest updating a driver if it is not necessary and you will find that most of the 12 drivers will do nothing to help, incidentally is one of the driver update suggestions for the chipset or SMBus.

As ever you are welcome :)

Mr_Nut

Mr_Nut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi again,

It seems that another one has popped up... I've also been getting this one fairly frequency also.
Any idea's with that one?

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
From memory and if I recall correctly it is caused by the network device, is Driver Verifier enabled or disabled at present?

Run PCPitstop and post the url for us please.

Advertisements

Mr_Nut

Mr_Nut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,

Driver verifier is disabled at this point.
Here is the requested link :)
http://www.pcpitstop...&report=Summary

And with regards to an earlier post that you made...

Regarding the driver updates, I never suggest updating a driver if it is not necessary and you will find that most of the 12 drivers will do nothing to help, incidentally is one of the driver update suggestions for the chipset or SMBus.

As ever you are welcome :)

Yes, one of them is.
I have got the following drivers to 'update'
AMD Radeon HD 6670
AMD HD Audio Device
Atheros AR9271 Wireless Network Adapter
HD Audio BUS
PCI Standard PCI to PCI Bridge
AMD PCI IDE Controller
AMD SMBus
PCI Standard Host CPU Bridge x6
Realtek HD Audio
Speedlink USB Gamepad
Magic Sound
PC Camera
HID-Compliant Game Controller
HID-Compliant mouse
Lenovo USB Optical Wheel Mouse (HID)
Standard Enchanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Stanard OpenHCD USB Host Controller x2
USB Composite device
USB Input Device

Edited by Mr_Nut, 28 July 2013 - 02:32 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You will recall that I said in my reply #2

Have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red Xs, particularly along side the Network Devices entry.

Well having looked at your PCPitstop results I have noted that you have 3 Network Adapters listed and two of them (the Microsoft and the Realtek devices) have the error code 22 next to them, this means that they are disabled which is fine but you do have drivers installed for them and so it is possible that this is what is causing your crashes, go into the Device Manager, double check that the two unwanted devices are disabled and uninstall the drivers for them.

Let us know how it goes please.

NB: You will notice that PCPitstop does not suggest any driver updates and out of your list the SMBus is the only one I would consider updating if a newer version was available and only if it was of benefit.

Mr_Nut

Mr_Nut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,

I have now updated the SMBus driver.
And I have now double checked they are both disabled and uninstalled them both.

Now. Only to hope there are no more crashes!

Thanks for your help again! :thumbsup:
I will report back if it happens again in this thread.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the update Mr_Nut and good luck :thumbsup:

Mr_Nut

Mr_Nut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,

Well after a couple of days, there has been no issues as of yet... I will keep you updated though! :thumbsup: