Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

the dreaded red x on speaker icon

• Please log in to reply

starryblu

starryblu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello and i hope i'm on the right board! if not, i apologize

ever since i plugged in my iphone to charge on my laptop, there has been a red x on the speaker icon. i still do get some sound, it's just too low to hear. i can use headphones and hear better, but it's still very low.

if i right click on the icon, it tells me no audio device is installed. but....if i go to the device manager, they are there, and are enabled.

i've tried uninstalling and re-installing. i've tried disabling and enabling. i've updated drivers, and tried a system restore.

i'm at my wit's end! i watch a lot of shows on my laptop, and this is upsetting.

got any suggestions? i've seen a lot of sites where people are asking about this problem, so i guess it's not something unusual. but the standard answers i'm reading aren't working for me.

any suggestions?

Advertisements

starryblu

starryblu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
alrighty, something i did must have helped. my sound is much improved. still a red x on the icon, but i can live with that.

just sharing info, in case anyone wants to try my attempts to fix the sound on my laptop.

have a great day everyone

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Did you bring up the mixer to see if it needs adjustments?

Double click on the speaker icon to do so.

Edited by Brazened, 30 July 2013 - 11:17 AM.