Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Blackscreen

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It also could be a monitor issue.

Advertisements

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
how would one tell if it was the monitors fault or the graphics card? the light on the monitor does not go off and sometimes the lines just go away. on other forums people said it could be the monitor, the cord, or the graphics card, but I don't really know how to tell. I have another computer I will probably hook the monitor up to and see if it does the same thing

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes that is exactly what you would do. Either put a different monitor on system with a problem or move the monitor to another system and see if the issue follows. Please let me know what happens.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
alright, I just got the monitors switched, so if it still does the lines to a monitor I know works, its the graphics card, if it does it to my old PC then its the monitors fault? hope its the monitor, its a nice 1920X1080 one but I have extra monitors and not enough money to buy another good graphics card

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have it all correct. I will wait for your results.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I think I may have found a contributor to the problem, but not sure if its the whole problem. one time I was playing a game and it started to freeze up, the display went black for a few seconds then recovered. I managed to alt tab out of the game to see that it said my graphics driver crashed but recovered. Maybe with the other monitor that is much higher resolution it just did not recover? so far the other computer has not had any problems with the lines or blackscreens. all my drivers are up to date but should I just reinstall my graphics driver or something?

I didn't catch the whole thing when it came up but I went to the event viewer and this is what it said:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

the lag spike in gameplay where it just repeated sounds and had a black screen did happene a few times in the course of a half hour, and that is what came up at those same times in the event viewer. like I said above, maybe the graphics card (NVidia GTX 280) is too old for a 1920X1080 monitor I was doing and it couldn't recover? the one I am using now is a 1600X900 LED monitor and it has been running fine. I will keep it on and using it for a lot more hours tonight to make sure that is the problem. hope its a simple fix

Edited by MrPerson, 30 July 2013 - 07:32 PM.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
so apparently its not fixed, it didn't do the lines, but the screen just went black and didn't let me do anything, there are 3 errors at the time it crashed in the event viewer
1. A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.

2.The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{7022A3B3-D004-4F52-AF11-E9E987FEE25F}
and APPID
{ADA41B3C-C6FD-4A08-8CC1-D6EFDE67BE7D}
to the user MyPC\Richard SID (S-1-5-21-99430037-2566912930-2188280637-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

3.The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{7022A3B3-D004-4F52-AF11-E9E987FEE25F}
and APPID
{ADA41B3C-C6FD-4A08-8CC1-D6EFDE67BE7D}
to the user MyPC\Richard SID (S-1-5-21-99430037-2566912930-2188280637-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

all errors listed were at the same second of time that the computer crashed, hope you can tell me something from these
I will probably install windows to another drive tonight

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
ok I found out some more information, I googled the Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully error I was getting, and from what other people said on other forums having the same problem, that leading to blackscreens like I was getting, and they said it may be your fan is running to slow which makes it overheat, the graphics driver for your graphics card is not compatible with your operating system, or your graphics card is just dying. I have a NVidia GTX 280, and maybe it is too old to be completely compatible with windows 8. I have also heard that you can just stick with the graphics card driver for the card that windows gives you and not update through NVidia and it will work fine, or I need to up the fan speed to keep it cooler while in use.

what do you think it is? what is the safest fan speed and how would I set it? if that is not the problem, how do I rollback to the windows version of my graphics card driver?

also I installed windows 8 and fully updated it and all my drivers and I still have the problem, the hard drive is just much quieter now.

I think I may have finally found the problem as I said above, and I hope we can fix it, didn't just spend 500$ on a new PC for nothing....

ps, sorry for all the posts while you were gone

Edited by MrPerson, 31 July 2013 - 12:47 AM.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Reccomended from another site was MSI afterburner to see what my fan speed is at currently. From what it says, it says, the max my fan is going to right now is 40% which may be why it is overheating. (I have not tested to see if % changes on restart)as I type this, the little grid it shows, is that the fan is flat lining at 40% which means even if it can go past 40% its not. (when I put my mouse on the grid it says that min is 40% and max is 40% so it never increases the fan speed?) this is after my driver crashed but recovered. what do you think I should change it to? I will not change it until you post a recommendation.

Edited by MrPerson, 31 July 2013 - 12:57 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets check the driver for updates.

Download DriverMax and have it scan your system. It will open their website with all the out of date drivers you can update. With the free version you can update only 2 drivers per day so if you have a lot of them it will take a few days to get everything updated. I have been using it for about 4 months now and like it better then any other utility out there for keeping my drivers up to date.
If you want you can post screenshots of all the drivers in the list that need to be updated and I will suggest in what order to get them.

Advertisements

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
don't know if I fully trust this thing because it says my graphics card driver is out of date, but the NVidia panel says it is up to date but here are the pics showing the out of date ones.

what about the fan speed being too slow? why does it limit itself to 40% NEVER going higher? couldn't that also be the problem? that's what other people on forums said

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg
  • Untitled2.jpg
  • Untitled3.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get the nvidia driver first. Then lets see what happens. Fan speed can only be controlled if it is connected to the motherboard. If it then you should be able to control it through the bios.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
download is in progress. the MSI afterburner said it could only be controlled in that program if it is capable of being changed, so I would think I could do it there, I don't even know where to find it in BIOS. also, what should the second thing I get be? I wont be able to test it until later today, I will be gone until 5pm eastern time

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
SMBus controller. That is the main motherboard chipset driver. That allows everything to identify correctly and work together. :thumbsup:

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I have to go now, but I got the SMBus controller update that was in the list, thanks for your help I can test to see if it helps tonight. So should I change my fan speed through bios on next restart and if so to what?