Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Blackscreen

• Please log in to reply

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
well it was fine all last night again..... but when I played the demo for XCOM enemy unknown and everything was on max and running great, but then when it was showing mission briefing where it showed everyone standing there in the dropship, it started to stutter then blackscreened. I restarted, went back to the spot where it did it last time and it was perfectly fine. and when it blackscreened it had only been on for an hour or so

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would be nice if you could get a temp reading when it was running and when it freezes.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I can try, but this card does not have two monitor ports so I cannot have it in the other monitor like I used to. and its so random its kind of hard to know when to check. do you think it is a coincidence that the Crucial memory (RAM) scanner does not pick up 2 of the slots when I tell it to scan my computer? It says that 2 of my slots are empty and I only have 8gb of RAM installed, but I can clearly see all 6 RAM slots are occupied and even the windows computer properties screen says I have 11gb installed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not unusual for it to do that. The important thing is it shows your total memory and how much you can have maximum along with the type of memory you need to use.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
its strange, there are 6 slots that have 2gb sticks in them, but crucial only shows 8gb and 2 empty, and both windows and the NVidia experience program only show 11gb, where on my old computer there is 8gb and windows, crucial, and NVidia experience all show 8gb. does that mean one is bad?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Strange since the system shows all of the memory.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
well it does not show the extra 1gb (2*6=12) but it only shows 11. it did blacscreen once and I managed to get a look through the clear side panel, and when it blackscreened the motherboard showed green orange and red lights next to the RAM, and on the opposite side of the GPU (not on it) there were digital clock like numbers that went from 0 to 99 then to FF and it shutdown. I guess I will have to test each RAM stick now

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you test all the ram at once using memtest?

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
actually no, I re read the process of doing that and it seems more complicated and more likely for me to screw it up than me just taking RAM out and putting it in one at a time. I have done that on other computers, its not that hard.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK

Advertisements

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Though I wont be able to do it today, and my family and I are leaving for the weekend until Monday, so I will report my findings when I get back from that. also last time I opened the case, there were 2 sticks of RAM that were in the slots all the way but did not have the clips closed, if that means anything. and from what I said above, do you have any idea what the lights or the numbers on the motherboard meant? also, on the MSI afterburner program, there is another temperature graph that says PCB temperature, what does that mean?

Edited by MrPerson, 01 August 2013 - 06:25 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The PCB (Printed Circuit Board) is the actual board of the video card.

What was the MSI mb model and then I can try to find the manual for it. I can then see what the lights mean, If the clips are not in place it could mean the memory is somehow wiggling loose or not making a good connection in the slot.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
it is this one

http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=2957#ov

it was also on the ebay page I linked you a while ago

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
it blackscreened again, so I decided to do an experiment. I took all the previous RAM out and put some other ddr3 RAM I had laying around in it. so now if I test it and it still does it, its not a RAM problem at all. if its not I have run out of ideas and I will be forced to return it.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
So apparently its not the RAM's fault because I know the RAM I put in was not faulty so its not that

As a last resort the last thing I did was went into bios and told it to reset settings to Fail-Safe. This was a used computer so maybe it was being overclocked or he had some setting messed up. I am testing it now but I wont be able to do it thoroughly because I don't have enough time. it has been a few hours and its been fine so far but when I get back from my trip I will test it more, thanks for your time that you have been helping me, have a good weekend.