Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Blackscreen

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK enjoy your trip and I will watch for your results next week. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
As I type this I am on my other older PC. I have a few hours before I have to leave for my trip. I have not put in the original 11gb (I did find out when I took the RAM out that it was only 11gb not 12gb like it said on ebay) and I had the 3gb I know worked in there after the fail safe setting I turned on. After a few hours it froze the screen at what I was doing, no bluescreen of death no blackscreen, just froze at what I was last doing which led me to think that I Ran out of RAM and it froze. Without putting the old 11gb back in yet (not enough time ATM) I cannot get it to turn the monitor on most of the time. I turned it on about 10 times, 7 of which the computer and everything plugged into it would turn on, but the monitor would not. the other 3 the monitor got past the BIOS screen but would not go past the windows 8 logo where the little balls below the logo are supposed to circle to show its loading (it didn't even show those) so I cant even get to the internet to type it to you from that PC. you think its the RAMs fault or did the graphics card finally die? I have maybe 7 days to tell the guy on Ebay I want to return it, but it is an amazing computer when it actually works. I may not be able to reply, but I can see what you say and ponder it, what do you think I should do and do you think I should get my money back?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There is no reason you should be running out of memory with that much. I only have 8 gigs and in over 3 years I have never ran out of memory.
Seeing that the computer itself is turning on everytime I would probably say it is either the video or the monitor. Since you tried a different monitor and the issue still happens then that only leaves the video card.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I meant this issue is happening with the 3gb I was testing still in it, I have not replaced the original 11gb yet, I know 11gb is ridiculous amount and I should never run out of that.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah it would seem the issue is not the memory at all. Just to clarify you have not over clocked anything correct?
Ram, CPU or video?

If not then at this point I would say it is a video issue.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
no, I don't even know how to overclock, that's why I told it to reset the bios to Fail-Safe setting to make sure that the previous owner didn't either. Plus I don't overclock just for this reason, I don't want things to burn out on me, I cant afford to keep replacing parts. on the MSI afterburner I did not change anything but the fan speed from defaults (because you can use that program to overclock but I never messed with defaults) sadly I don't have another video card to test it with but I may have a friend that does.... but I wont be able to get to it even a few days after I get back.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah it doesn't have to be a high end card but just something to test the system to see if it has a issue with a different card. I don't want you to have to replace the card if it really isn't the issue.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
well thanks for the help, I have to sign off for the weekend, I hope we can figure all this out, I have to return it within a week or so or I am stuck with the thing..... have a good weekend.

Edited by MrPerson, 02 August 2013 - 11:04 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK again enjoy your weekend. :cool:

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I got back early, and I put the original 11gb of RAM back in, and I turned it on, and it took a while longer than normal with the fan rather high for about 30 seconds, it skipped the first bios screen and then went to windows and loaded normally.

I have a smaller, cheaper graphics card in line for me to pick up from a friend tomorrow to test.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK great and the extra length on the boot may be because of the change in the memory.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
It ran perfectly for about 8 hours one day then for about 4 another, then it started blackscreening again. so I finally got to go get the smaller graphics card (a crappy Nvidia GeForce gt 610) and put it in and testing it right now. strange how my old PC had a GeForce gt 430 and was only dual core and less ram but ran games better than this card does.

while I am testing I was looking for graphics cards on ebay, and I would like another gtx if I find out that the old one was what was causing the blackscreens and I noticed that even though the cards are NVidia they may have other company names with theirs. for instance both my older GeForce gt 430 and 610 were both PNY and Nvidia, what are the other good sub brands to buy from? and why does the graphics card have such a huge plastic case instead of just leaving the card exposed? you would think the giant plastic case would trap heat in, because when I took it out it was rather hot. and I left the fan settings on MSI afterburner on so when it gets to a certain heat it ups the fan, and man is it quieter. just wish all my games didn't lag so bad :(

well anyway I hope that it is the cards fault because that's less of a hassle to buy a graphics card than it is to send the computer back to the guy on ebay and trying to get a refund

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The plastic casing is for show and sometimes encloses the fan assembly.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
but like I asked, does the secondary manufacturer besides NVidia make a difference in how the card performs? I have had PNY before, but when I ebay searched I found EVGA, Sparkle, ZOTAC ect. brands with NVIDIA after them with the same card number (gtx 560 ti) do they matter? if so how are they different?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not really because the actual video chip is still nvidia but the card is made by someone else.