Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Blackscreen

• Please log in to reply

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
well I think it must have been the graphics card, I have had no problems since I told you I put it in. I am glad it is something easy to replace.

now that you know my specs, do you have a recommended card that's not too expensive that would do well in my system?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What games do you play and do you play them on high settings?
What is your budget for a new card?

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
these are all my games if you want to look through them all.
http://steamcommunit...d/games?tab=all

I play them on highest settings allowed that lets me have smooth gameplay. I wont sacrifice smoothness for graphics, but I would will max a game out if it stays smooth

I would like to keep it under $150 if possible, I cant afford too much right now. even that gtx 280 I had in this thing before it broke played my games amazingly. but I would like to have something that would last for the next few years also. and one that's reliable lol

Edited by MrPerson, 07 August 2013 - 10:58 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
GTX 550 and 650 models. A very long list but lots of choices for under $200 located HERE

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
These are really small GTX's the old one that was in here that was a gtx was huge! and all these say they are form factor like my old PC was. and a bunch of people say they wont run a few of the games I have on highest like the gtx 280 that was in here could, are they just picky?

I had my eye on these

http://www.newegg.co...500-294:$$$$$$$

they both have their pros and cons but which one do you think will give me the most bang for my buck?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
They are virtually the same with such minor differences either would be ok. The Zotac has a better rating according to customer rating it. I would probably choose the Zotac based on the reviews.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
yea but I saw that the zotac says it takes 2 slots and it has all the special NVidia stuff, but the other can do 3D is single slot and says it lasts a long time.

from what I hear in the reviews for both of them though people say that they cant run stuff on highest like even the gtx 280 that broke could, is that them just being picky or since these are form factor are they worse? that 280 thing was a monster, it was huge

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You also have to figure if their monitor will run the highest settings also.
I know my GPU is not suppose to be able to run the highest but I have for 3 years now. Sometimes the people are not taking all the factors in account. GPU is only one factor when it comes to a system.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
alright, I will get the zotac one in a few days, I noticed it has 2 monitor plugs which my current and the 280 does not so it will be good to get back to having dual monitors, and hopefully the card will last me a long time to come.

I thank you for all the time you have spent helping me and I will use this site whenever I need any tech support, I got help a few months back when I discovered all DDR3 was not the same and someone here explained to me how it works. I can leave how it performs and stuff if you want me to when I finally get it if you want.

but yes thanks again for all the help :happy:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please update us when you get the new card. We like to know how the resolution works good or bad.

Advertisements

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Will do, but it may take a while to make arrangements and for it to get shipped

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem at all. :thumbsup:

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I kept using that driver scan program you gave me and the last ones in the list were the keyboard and mouse drivers. I installed those because I thought that I might as well, but when they got done they disabled my keyboard and mouse. I had made a restore point but I cannot get to it now that any keyboard and mouse does not work once windows starts. it works fine in the bios, but I cant even type in my password when it comes up when windows starts. the computer is worthless without the keyboard and mouse, and I have tried multiple but none work :(

the graphics card is on its way

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you try to start in Safe Mode or get to the advance boot menu and choose Last known good configuration.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
the only boot menu I could get to was the one to choose where to load an operating system from. if its not in the bios, I cant do anything. I even tried to put in the windows 8 disk to do a repair or something and that wont even let me do anything either. if its not in the bios I cant do anything :(