Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 os will not boot(need for school)

• Please log in to reply

ElamsEstates

ElamsEstates

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have a 64bit compaq laptop. The OS will not load. It freezes at the windows logo screen. I have attempted to use repair disc but I am unable to go into safemode, pc begins to load and then freezes at the screen where it lists drivers. When i attempt to access repair mode, it begins to load but the recovery console flashes quickly but goes away leaving me at a blank windows background. Please help i need for school.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
When did this start happening?
What was done before it started? Did you add or remove any hardware or software?

Can you get to the Advanced Boot Options menu? How to Boot to the Advanced Boot Options in Windows 7

If you can, select Last Know Good Configuration (advanced), see if that fixes the problem.

If not, boot there again and select Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure. Maybe that will give us a clue to what the problem is. Should get a Blue Screen, record the info and post here.

Another possibility that is easy to test for is a memory problem. The simplest way to do this is to remove 1/2 of the memory (one of two memory modules) in your laptop then boot and see what happens. If okay the one you removed is bad. If not then swap the memory modules and boot again. If it fails then memory is not the problem. If okay then the one removed is bad.

Memory is accessible by removing a cover on the bottom of the laptop. Make sure you power the laptop down before doing this.

What is the full model number of the Compaq laptop? We can use that to find the Users or Service manual which will tell you how to remove/replace memory if you are unsure about doing this.

ElamsEstates

ElamsEstates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Compaq presario cq56
just happened...no explanation. I did not download, install or remove any programs or hardware. It was powered off for maybe 3weeks. When I turned back on recently, the OS would not boot, would freeze.
*last known config did not fix
*disable auto restart- results = unmountable_boot_volume tech info: 0x000000ED (0xFFFFFA80044AFCDO, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000185, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

thank you for helping

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, let's try running chkdsk /r from the installation DVD/Flash Drive.

How to run chkdsk or System File Checker (SFC) from the Recovery Console
  • Boot your Vista or Windows 7 installation DVD
  • When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
  • At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
  • At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C:) and click Next
  • At the Chose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt. You will be sitting at X:\Sources directory
  • Run chkdsk or SFC
  • If you did not note the drive letter of your boot disk, you can enter bcdedit and look at the osdevice line to see what it is.
  • For chkdsk, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter (use the letter from above if not C:).
  • For sfc, type sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows and press Enter (use the letter from above)
Let either run to completion undisturbed.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation DVD, or it's not up to the Service Pack level currently installed,you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

YOU MUST HAVE A VALID KEY TO INSTALL THIS .ISO. The one on the COA sticker on your computer will work.

You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.
  • Download and run Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3
  • Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
  • Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
  • Select your USB flash drive
  • Click Create
For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.

ElamsEstates

ElamsEstates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
at the sys rec screen all 3 columns are blank, there is no drive listed or any data listed under OS - Par size - Loc

ElamsEstates

ElamsEstates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
fyi - i will start checking bck for your response every hour.