Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to access system restore due to virus [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Teima

Teima

• PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
Hello Xpcc,

I have found a solution to those errors which are faced within Windows Updates. Don't worry! Please download this fixit from Microsoft and proceed to follow it through until completed. Once done. Please attempt to re-follow the Windows Update instructions within my former response.

Were you able to apply these updates this time round? Also. I would recommend updating both Quicktime and itunes as prompted.

Please let me know how you progress. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
that worked. apple quicktime and itunes updated also.

Teima

Teima

• PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
Perfect. Before I wrap up with my final post. Is there anything else which needs to be addressed or covered on your machine?

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
it still boots a little slow for me but a pc isnt exactly instant on like tablets are. i read the post why did my computer get infected in the first place and will follow the suggestions there also. so it sounds like my pc should be good for now and i really dont need to do a full system restore to correct the problem i was seeking help on.. correct?

thanks

Teima

Teima

• PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
Hello Xppc,

Yes that's correct. You did have quite a bit of adware present on your machine. Whilst this isn't necessarily bad. It does clutter the machine with multiple unwanted applications such as toolbars etc. Which is honestly nothing fun to have. ;) With that in mind I will present some instructions below to address the System Restore points on your machine and will also continue to try and rectify the current boot issue.

Step One

Run OTL

• Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, copy and paste in the following.
:Commands
[CreateRestorePoint]
  • Click run fix.
  • OTL may ask to reboot the machine. Please click the OK button if prompted.
  • Once done a report will be displayed. Copy and paste the contents of that report within your next response.

Step Two

Please download StartUpLite from here to the desktop of your machine.

Please be patient as this tool will detect any unnecessary startup items on your machine and will advice for their removal. I would advise removing any resources which aren't needed as these will impact on your startup time of the machine at hand.

Please right-click on startuplite-setup-1.07.exe and and select Run as Administrator. Should there be any prompts please follow these for me.

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
========= COMMANDS ==========
Restore point Set: OTL Restore Point

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 log created on 08162013_190620

startuplite suggested i disable sunjava update, quick time task and hp software update.

i havent used prism video file converter or wondershare pdf to word converter in ages so i could uninstall them

Teima

Teima

• PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
Hello Xpcc,

Thanks for the response. Has there been a noticeable difference in the boot time of your machine since addressing those items via Startuplite? Also. In regards to those two program's I'll allow you to decide if you like to remove them. Personally I would remove them if it's something which isn't needed at the moment. Let me know how you progress. :)

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
i uninstalled those two programs and two others that i have not used in awhile.

thanks for your help.

Teima

Teima

• PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
Thanks for the response. How does the machine appear to be running at the moment? Is there a noticeable difference since running Startuplite and removing those two programs?

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
it seems to be running better than when you started helping me with this issue. boot up is a little better just curious as to why my icons refresh 3 times before i can do anything but it has been that way for sometime. thanks again for all your help

Advertisements

Teima

Teima

• PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
Step One

• Please download the icon cache rebuild file to your desktop from here.
  • Once the download is complete. Right click on Rebuild_Icon_Cache.bat and select Run as Administrator.
  • It is important that you follow the instructions in the command prompt window to rebuild the Icon Cache.
  • After the rebuild has completed. It's important that you restart your computer so that it can automatically generate a new IconCache.db file. Please let me know if this has resolved the issue.

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
i ran the program as requested. after it stated a restart was necessary, it said press any key to continue. i did this the command box did disappear but reboot did no occur. i did reboot it and the icons dont appear to refresh themselves like before.

Teima

Teima

• PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
Perfect? Are any further issues faced. If not let me know and I'll post my final series of instructions. :)

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
as far as i know everything else is ok

Teima

Teima

• PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
Congratulations your computer appears to be malware free!

Now I have some tasks for your good self to carry out as part of a clean up process and some advice about online safety. :)

Removal of OTL

• Double-click OTL to start the program.
  • Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot
  • On the OTL main screen, press the CLEANUP button
  • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.
Step One

Removal of AdwCleaner

• Right-click on AdwCleaner.exe and select Run as Administrator to start the program.
  • Click on Uninstall and once prompted select the option "Yes". This will remove AdwCleaner and its relevant files.
Enabling Windows Updates

1. Please proceed with clicking "Start" then choosing the "Control Panel" on the left hand window.

2. Click the first menu selection named "System and Security".

3. Click the next option entitled "Windows Update".

4. Now click "Change Settings" which is situated on the left hand side.

5. Please make sure that the "Important Updates" box is selected to "Install Updates Automatically". Whilst these updates have been selected to install "Every Day".

6. Please also enable the "Recommended Updates" check box if it hasn't already been enabled.

7. Click "Ok" once these steps have been followed.

Step Two

Clearing System Restore Points

1. Please Navigate to the Start Menu

2. Once that's loaded right click on my computer and select the option named "Properties".

3. On the menu which is located on the left hand side please select "System Protection".

4. Under the system properties dialogue which is now loaded navigate to the tab named "System Protection" and proceed with clicking "Configure".

5. Click the option entitled "Delete" and proceed with clicking "Continue". Your system restore points have now been cleared.

Other recommendations

Please note that prevention is better than any cure. I'll post some recommendations below to further enhance your security.

• Please read this guide on how you were Infected in the first place. It's an excellent tutorial with multiple security recommendations.