Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a new rig - time to update my gaming PC!

• Please log in to reply

ravens_creed

ravens_creed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
The parts arrived via Purolator this morning! *happy dance*

Posted Image

I do have a few questions...

Firstly, I'm a bit overwhelmed with the work ahead of me. I have an idea of what all needs to be done, but where should I start? I'm guessing there's a stickied thread around here somewhere that would help me. :) Update: So, the stickied thread at the top of this forum would be that help I would need. I think that should be everything I need for now. I also saw that it was recommended that I attach most things to the MB before screwing it onto the case, so I'm going to take that advice as well.

Secondly, relating to further cooling options, as it has come up both here and in a comment over at PCPartPick... do I really need anything else? My new case seems very well equipped with fans (3 that I can count, and a pretty blue lcd light, very similar to the Antec fans you linked me to earlier, phillpower2), and then there's the fan on my OCZ power supply, and then there's the CPU... I was told to consider a fan or cooling option for my CPU, but it does come with its own pretty substantial fan and heatsink. Was the recommendation given on account of the CPU not having its own fan and heatsink like that, or are the stock intel fans notoriously insufficient for cooling purposes?

Should be a fun weekend ahead!

Edited by ravens_creed, 02 August 2013 - 09:57 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Apologies for the delay ravens_creed, I have a lot of work to do at present :(

To help with the build please see the tutorial provided courtesy of Troy and Artellos respectively http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/

It is always best to do what is often referred to as a bare-bones or breadboard set up to ensure that all items are working before assembling them in the case, see my canned text below that I provide when helping with new build troubleshooting, this will give you an idea of what you should do and checks that you should make, the correct location of stand offs if they are used as an example, any questions please let us know;

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try removing the CMOS battery for a few moments and then replace it, this will clear any possible bad MB settings.

Using an aftermarket cooler, a very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need an additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty both AMD and Intel are clear on this, see below;

AMD;

This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.
Full AMD article @ http://support.amd.c...earLimited.aspx

Intel;
damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing;
Full Intel article available @ http://www.intel.com...b/cs-009862.htm