Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shutdown on Core Unlock

• Please log in to reply

lpchris85

lpchris85

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hello all,

This is not something critical, but it is slightly annoying and I would like to better understand why it happens. I have an MSI 870A-G54 motherboard that allows me to unlock an extra two cores on my Phenom processor. When I unlock the cores it runs fine, under a heavy load Speedfan shows a max core temperature for the CPU at 55C which is hot but not too bad. It will shut down at random times.

I then backed it down to just running a 3rd core, and the same problem with the shutdown occurred. I figured it was not an overheating issue, so I replaced my Thermaltake 430w PSU with a Thermaltake 800w PSU; same results.

I don't mind running my Phenom with its stock 2-cores, but when the capability is there I'd like to use the extra two. Does anybody have any insight? I am using the stock fan-cooler that came with my CPU.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Actually this is why the cores were disabled in the first place by AMD when the processor was manufactured - because they're not stable.

Processors are made and tested for stability, say for four cores. If two of the cores turn out to be faulty, rather than scrapping the chip the faulty ones are disabled and the unit is sold as a dual-core processor instead. It's got nothing to do with heat and nothing to do with power supplies - it is technically a fault on the chip that doesn't appear when you use it normally.

Not all cores on all processors can be unlocked - some can and will run happily with the extra brain. Some are totally unusable and others are fine until you or a program tries to use a faulty part of the faulty core.

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I never knew that, very good to know. I appreciate your assistance : )