Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blinking cursor - cannot get to F8 recovery

• Please log in to reply

deekaye

deekaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Any thoughts on my last question?

What happens if I just try and "Install Windows?"

If I click this option from the newly created DVD, it now asks me where I want to install it and gives me these choices:

Disk 0 Partition 1: System Total Size 1.5 GB; Free: 1.3GB
Disk 0 Partition 2: System Total Size 221.2 GB; Free: 170.9GB
Disk 0 Partition 3: System Total Size 10.2 GB; Free: 603.0MB

I have no idea. Please advise.

Thanks!

Advertisements

deekaye

deekaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Just adding a side issue (but REALLY important to me!) when I downloaded IMGBURN, it also loaded a whole pile of crap (without my permission) to MY WORK PC, which is what I was using to get this person's laptop running.

My work PC now has my web browser hijacked to make my home page something called "AVG Secure Search" even though I do not want it, I now have hoards of little icons for games radio stations and what not at the top of my browser, and my sidebar has something called "TuneUp Utilities - Startoberflache" launched and I have NO idea what this is. My browser now is freezing and acting up and I have no idea how to get this stuff off my computer.

When you go to the IMGBURN site forum you see a lot of people complaining about this "Candy" something that is automatically installing all this and there's no explanation on how to get rid of this....but a lot of upset people getting no satisfaction from the IMGBURN guy...

Can you tell me how to uninstall this stuff? Is there anything in a PC that let's you see "recently installed items" or something?

Thanks!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Look in Control Panel, Programs and Features, see if you can remove it from there.

I had not seen the foistware ImgBurn is bundling, what a shame.

I just ran through the install and you need to uncheck a couple things and then all you get is ImgBurn.

ImgBurn Install.jpg

ImgBurn Install2.jpg

I'll add warnings in the future to any recommendations to use ImgBurn.

As for installing:

Disk 0 Partition 1: System Total Size 1.5 GB; Free: 1.3GB
Disk 0 Partition 2: System Total Size 221.2 GB; Free: 170.9GB <== This is the partition to install to.
Disk 0 Partition 3: System Total Size 10.2 GB; Free: 603.0MB <== This is probably the Recovery Partition that you access by holding down the 0 key when you power on the computer.

deekaye

deekaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for this -

Re: the IMGBURN site - just so you know, when I downloaded I chose the "Recommended" rather than advanced (I didn't know enough about it to be advanced - LOL!) but there was no "Dragons of Atlantis" or anything like that to say no to. There was something that asked if I wanted to make something my home page and I said NO, but it did it anyway I think this is why people on the forum were complaining - a lot of what was loading was doing it even if you said "no"....

I went into the Programs and Features and Uninstalled everything that had been installed yesterday just to clear it all out - so far so good - thanks!

Back to this Windows install - how is this possible? Unfortunately I tried installing this and it ran thru the whole install sequence and said it was going to restart my computer and then it did, and what came up was the same Toshiba splash screen with the gray stripe at the bottom and the 5 second choice to push F2 or F12 then went to the same black screen with blinking cursor....

If its installed anything it seems to be stuck in whatever this loop is that doesn't allow it to recognize Windows - I don't get it. When I tried it again, this time the sendon Partition choice still said "Total size 221.2 GB" but said 163GB free - so apparently 7GB got used up somehow with something during the process...

Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry but I don't know what happened with the install.

Have you tried pressing and holding the 0 key when you turn the power on? Maybe you can get into the Recovery program and do a restore to factory state. That will do basically the same thing that an install does.

deekaye

deekaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
HALLELUAH!!!! I have no idea why, but this time, I tried turning it on while pressing the 0 and while I'm not sure this had anything to do with it or if it was a coincidence, here's what happened:

It did the usual weird non-reaction, but because I pushed a key it gave me the black screen, blinking cursor and hideous high pitched repeated beeping. It did this for about 30 seconds and then appeared to boot itself (without asking me to choose) to the DVD inside. I tried again choosing to install Windows and this time when you chose the second Partition even more GB were unavailable as Free, however oddly the computer choice you used to be able to see if you wanted to choose to repair (had a bunch of letters and numbers), was completely gone.

I chose to install Windows and this time it actually worked! On completion it allowed me to create a User ID, password, etc., connect to my home Wifi and let Windows set up.

It appears to be a fresh install with no trace of the past system.

Now, do I just connect the external HD that I copied his old User file and drag that file into the new User file folder? I'm presuming they should be located in the same folder, but with different names. Or does the PC requires copy & paste or some other method of importing the files?

Many MANY thanks for your patience in helping do this!

deekaye

deekaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Just a note to say THANK YOU!!! I decided not to reinstall any of his old folder just in case there was a virus or whatever that caused the problem. I installed a new TurboTax 2012 and was able to grab his old file and save it as a pdf and mail it, print it and this saved the day for him.

Now he has basically a new laptop with new Windows 7 and he can decide how to proceed from there.

Thank you so very much!!!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Fantastic!!!! I am very glad to hear you got it working.

I just wish I knew what happened. I hate these kinds of mysteries.