Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Antivirus software should I get?

• Please log in to reply

Nimation

Nimation

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hey yall, I recently recovered from a massive infection and don't wanna see that happen again.
Right now I'm using some outdated version of AVG internet security temporary but that's not gonna do in the long run.

I was thinking about purchasing the newest version AVG but it's consumes lots of RAM and CPU and slowdowns my PC.
So, what antivirus do you think is as affective yet, runs smooth and very lightly and doesn't slow PC much considering the fact that my CPU is Intel Pentium 4.
Plus, I noticed that for some reason, AVG also reduce the Internet speed and I can't reach the full speed.

So with things mentioned above, what antivirus software should I get?

(Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place)

Edited by Nimation, 01 August 2013 - 08:45 AM.

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hello Nimation, :wave:
:welcome:

This would have probably been better posted in the Applications forum but we can give you an answer here. :)
Please go to our Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software topic. Under the Free Antivirus Software section you will find the antivirus programs that G2G recommends.

Don't forget to uninstall the AVG program before installing the new AV program.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
The two best paid anti-viruses are Kaspersky and Bitdefender. They both have trial versions so you can try them and see if they slow you down.

The best free anti-virus is a matter of opinion but I like the free Avast. If I'm feeling especially paranoid I will add the free Online Armor firewall. Avast has a particular good feature called a boot-time scan which can load before most viruses so has a better chance of finding them. To use it (best to let it run while you sleep as it takes a long time):

First mute the speakers so it won't wake you up when Windows loads. Click on the Orange ball. Click on Security. Click on AntiVirus. Scroll down to the bottom and find Boot-time scan. Click on Settings. Where it says Heuristic Sensitivity click on the last rectangle so that all of them are orange and it says High. Then change When a threat is found ... to: Move to Chest. OK. Now click on Schedule Now. Close the Avast window and then reboot. The scan will start. It will tell you where it will save the report. Usually it's
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\aswBoot.txt but it might change so verify the location. When Windows loads Click on the Orange Ball then Maintenance then Scan Logs. Click on the Boot-time scan log and then View Results. IF it found anything then open the saved Report and copy and paste the text into a reply so I can see it.

Ron