Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to build a Blender Render Farm

• Please log in to reply

TheMcSquirrell

TheMcSquirrell

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi!

I am quite new to blender, but I am already shocked by the long render times... Because I had some unused PC's lying around the house, I thought: why not build a render farm? Rendering with my laptop wouldn't be that much of a problem if it wouldn't heat up so much. My available systems are:

Laptop (nót in the farm):
- i5-3317u 1.7 ghz
- 4 Gb ram
- GT 740M

Desktop:
- Pentium 4 3 Ghz
- 1.25 Gb ram
- Geforce MX 440 64 Mb

Desktop
- Athlon XP 2000+ (1.8 Ghz)
- 786 Mb ram
- Riva TNT 2 32 Mb

Laptop:
- Core 2 Duo T5670 1.8 Ghz
- 3 Gb ram
- Integrated x3100 graphics

Desktop:
- Pentium D 280 2.8 Ghz
- 1 Gb ram
- 8800 Gt

My question is: how to do it? I tried installing Rocks (for a Beowulf cluster), but my PC's are not compatible with that program... I have thought about a few options:
1. Blenders integrated Network Renderer: the problem is that with this program I can't use LuxEngine or Cyles...
2. A Beowulf Cluster: I have got the required parts, but I tried installing Rocks and that failed quite a bit. I wouldn't know any other operating systems for that.
3. An actual Render Farm: also no idea how

I hope someone can help me!
Thanx in advance

Sincerely,
TheMcSquirrell

Advertisements

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Some of those pc's you listed will strain to render on blender. I have an old machine with a Pentium quad core and 4gb with an OK graphics card and it strains to render complex scenes. So I think you might need better spec machines to cut down render times.
Are you trying to make a film or something?

TheMcSquirrell

TheMcSquirrell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Niyol,

Thanks for your fast response! I do not really care about the render time, as long as it is faster than my laptop, I just want to get this up and running. On the other forums I also got a lot of information about te nodes themselves and some deals I could score better systems with, but that is not the point. I read somewhere that anything faster than 1.4 Ghz single core will add to your speed, and I could get some more working, soooo...
What would really help me is a tutorial or could you at least point out a version of Linux I could use? Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
TheMcSquirrell